Question about Photobooth in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gvg45, Nov 25, 2007.

1. gvg45 macrumors member

My 2 year old daughter likes to look at herself/me in photobooth while I'm online (firefox/safari). In Tiger I can have Photobooth opened and other applications like Safari and the camera in Photobooth still works. In Leopard, prior to the latest update, it would not work like this. The camera would freeze if I was online checking email, etc. I had to reload Tiger due to freezing issues, but since the latest update I want to reload Leopard.

Just wanted to know if anybody can check if your able to use the webcam in photobooth while using Safari/Firefox with the latest software update for Leopard.

2. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Same here, it most likely pauses to reduce CPU usage when PhotoBooth is not the active window. Quicklook does that while playing videos, once another window becomes active Quicklook will pause if it's playing a video and the window will hide if another window becomes active.

4. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

weird, same thing here, The Camera gets disabled when photobooth is not the active window.

5. gvg45 thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping this was a feature that might have been enabled with the recent updates. I never really knew how much I enjoy the feature until I did not have it for the week and a half I was using Leopard. Not really a huge deal but my daughter loves looking at the different effects and it keeps her rather entertained while I am doing other stuff on the computer. Hopefully it is a feature :apple: will consider in one of the next updates...

6. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

This is purposeful and annoying... a "feature" to slow down CPU usage.

7. gvg45 thread starter macrumors member

Annoying indeed. The little things we take for granted. Who knows, maybe they will give us a "preference" in photobooth to enable/disable webcam when other apps are open.......I know, wishful thinking.:rolleyes:

8. nikkisantoro macrumors newbie

Temporary Solution

Hello,

Here's a temporary solution you can work with in the meantime.

Open Quicktime and go to File > New Movie Recording

This will start your webcam and does not freeze when you use other applications. Hope this helps.

9. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

That's only in quickTime Pro, which Apple Annoyingly does not provide.

10. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Perhaps there's a hidden preference in a plist somewhere to sort this out...

11. gvg45 thread starter macrumors member

Well if you, or anybody else, are able to find it, please let us know. :)

12. one1 macrumors 65816

To verify... I have Safari, Mail, and Photo Booth open. When I am "in" Photo Booth the camera functions, when I concentrate on another window, be it mail, finder, safari, etc... it freezes.

In short the Photo Booth camera is only active if it is the active window. If you can figure out a way to keep it as an active window while surfing elsewhere, you're golden. I'd imagine that would work with an "always on top, bring to front" style of command.