Question about placing it on mattress

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PQTrojan, Oct 28, 2009.

1. PQTrojan macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I wanna get my wife a MBA and I know she loves to place her laptop on the bed while using it. I also notice the vent on the MBA is on the bottom of the laptop. Am I right to assume that placing it on a mattress will cause overheating? Does anyone else use their MBA on the bed or sofa?

2. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I use mine in my bed all of the time - I just keep an eye on temps etc. but have not really noticed a problem

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

You won't want to lay it flat on a bed so the vent holes are blocked or you'll hear the fans roar and you'll feel the heat.

When I have mine on a sofa or bed I'm always trying to position it or prop it up so that the vents aren't completely covered.

4. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

Why does she need to play w/ her laptop on the bed?...she has nothing to play with?:rolleyes:

Anyways, I used mine all the time but I put one of my old plastic folder on the bottom. So, I can leave the Air on the bed for hours.

5. roslee7 macrumors regular

The reason why she like to put on the bed coz she can surf internet while on the bed and at the same time watching tv or anything. Coz if the laptop on the table, then she have to sit for few hours there . Sometimes i do that that too when i feel tired and going to sleep

6. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

The fan will run at max speed (6200rpm) and video will get a little choppy, but other things will work fine. If she could prop it up a bit by slipping something like a dvd case under the back edge of the Air it will help somewhat.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

just don't tell Apple that. Officially, you're using it in an "Unsupported configuration", and if you ever have any problems with it and mention that you used on a non-solid-flat surface, they'll give you hell about fixing it.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I use it with blankets, as long as you don't use it there indefinitely it shouldn't cause a problem.

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I keep a magazine or book under it while it's on my bed. Sometimes I use a laptop cooling fan that connects to the USB port. I also have a special padded bottom hardtop surface that's like a desk for the bed. I have power running directly to that. I use it for reading, MBA, and on a rare occasion breakfast in bed.

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

bad idea.

never block vents on ANY machine.

Ok for very short periods and with this model you probably won't ruin it, but it's not advisable (for obvious reasons).

At best you put strain on fan (which is a hard working little guy as it is).

Put a hardbcark book under it

11. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Are you happy with how that fan works? (I have been thinking about getting one, for the reason being discussed in this thread ... )

12. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Yes, it works well. It's a belkin with one fan right on bottom which is perfect for the MBA. It cost me $20 at Costco. I rarely use it to be honest. If I know I am planning to watch a few movies, I will hook it up. I don't really need it for normal work. I write/type a lot, so most of my time the MBA never revs up or heats up at all.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use everywhere. I definitely will check some emails and MR before I sleep. Never had any overheating issues so far.

14. PQTrojan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input everyone. I do have an old cooling pad when we were PC laptop users so I'll ask her to use it to prop it up. My MBA comes in tomorrow so I'm excited.

Now if Hypermac would let me exchange my macbook magsafe cable for a MBA one I'll be set lol.