Question about Portable Hard Drives, perhaps silly ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by -Noodles, Jan 22, 2008.

1. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

I have a 60GB western digital portable hard drive (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=258&language=en) that I've used for a while to back up drawing files among other things. Now that I'm switching over to apple, awaiting my new mac pro, I'm wondering if I can plug this in to my gf's new iMac and backup the files there too. I don't like having 30Gigs siting in one spot alone. My concern is whether plugging it into the iMac will do anything to the drive, corrupt files etc. I just want them backed up to a second spot while I wait for my new mac pro to arrive. I don't need to use any of them obviously, I just want a fail-safe. Will this do anything to the drive or files? Will I have any problems plugging it back into a pc to move files back to it?

These concerns may be a bit dated - perhaps this is no longer an issue but when you only have one copy of you're life you get a bit paranoid about losing it :p

2. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Should work fine, says Windoz and Mac OS X. If your transfering files from a Mac to a Mac, would suggest you format the external HD to Mac, journeying etc.

3. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

I've done this with a external HDD between Windows and Macs before and it has worked fine as long as the files are the correct formats.