Question about Porting Number from Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bli625, Jun 4, 2010.

1. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

My Verizon Wireless contract is due to expire on 7/1/10, and I am looking to move to AT&T and get the new iPhone. I'd like to keep my old number so.. do I start a new contract with AT&T before my VZW is over or do I wait until the VZW contract is over before starting a new line. I was under the impression that I would no longer "own" the phone number after the VZW contract ended. And if I do port it before the VZW contract is over, would the VZW phone still be usable before 7/1/10 so I don't have to pay an ETF?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

When your Verizon contract ends you will automatically switch to a month to month plan. Nothing will change. At that point start a new contract with AT&T and tell them to port over your number. When the number is ported over your contract with Verizon will be terminated.

If you do this before your contract ends you will be charged a few dollars for the Termination Fee (ETF). Otherwise it will be the same.

3. bli625 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bli625

Thanks for the info!

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You NEVER own the number. The carrier does. You can change ownership of the number, but to avoid the ETF wait until the VZW contract is over.