Question about possible iMac refresh

Discussion in 'iMac' started by brig2221, Aug 27, 2012.

1. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I'm in the market to get a new 27" iMac. I would pick the stock version currently priced at $1,699. My question is, (and I know no one knows for sure), is there possibly going to be a refresh within the next two months, and if so, what are people expecting the update to be?

I don't imagine they will change the form factor much at all. I've seen or heard Retina, but honestly, given the current resolution on an iMac, I see no reason to add "Retina" resolution. So throwing the possible Retina upgrade out the window, what exactly do you think an updated iMac would offer?

If it's Retina only, I'm apt to go out tomorrow and buy the current 27" model. If we are talking about the inclusion of an SSD drive, USB 3, better graphics card, etc, then it may be worth sitting on the sidelines for a bit.

Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

2. Hakone macrumors 6502a

Highly likely the Ivy Bridge CPUs, GPU bump, and USB 3.0 at a minimum.

Give it another few weeks and hope the speculations would be proven/disproven.

3. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, wow! I just assumed they had already updated the line to the Ivy Bridge processors. Yeah, no way I'm going to buy one with old processors in them when every other desktop computer being sold today is using Ivy Bridge.

4. Hakone macrumors 6502a

Yup, the desktop lines are quite long in the tooth.

If nothing is updated this calendar year, i'm convinced that Apple is strategically putting desktops in the 'not as important anymore' category. In that case i'd just build another PC... (but I have a MBA that I really love).

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

To the extent we can "know" such a thing, the signs of a new model iMac within the next 6-8 weeks are pretty clear.

There's also around 50 threads on this subject. Welcome to the club. :)

You will certainly or probably see following:
    - Ivy Bridge
    - USB 3
    - Nvidia GPUs ranging from 650m to 680m (an 80-100% improvement across the board)
    - A reduced-glare screen (manufactured similarly to the rMBP, but not Retina)
    - A slight chassis redesign to accommodate the new screen

You may or may not see:
    - A bump in base RAM to 8GB
    - A stock SSD (or a greatly reduced price BTO SSD)
    - An ODD
    - A new screen size (there's weak rumors of a 32"; the 32" and 4K/Retina rumors seem to go hand in hand)

6. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

For the 27" size you will NOT see a retina display in the next upgrade cycle. It is pointless at that size resolution.

If there is a redesign of the iMac, they will do something with the stand, probably make it more ergonomic.

After that, there's nothing more to add other than what 42j has already said.