Question about possible security compromise of Win 7 bootcamp partition.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Phrygian, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Phrygian macrumors regular

Mac Pro 3,1 user here:

In the midst of a drunken internet argument (yes I am ashamed :(), I clicked on a link I shouldn't have which downloaded a pdf file. The person I was arguing with then claimed that he had penetrated my computer with a reverse shell made with metasploits software. Well I got what I deserved for arguing with a stranger on the internet. Maybe he is lying or maybe my system was compromised but either way I'd like to take a few precautions.

At the time, I was using windows 7 in bootcamp.

I have already removed the bootcamp partition (I don't keep anything requiring backup on it besides a few pictures i put on a usb stick). From my minimal understanding, a reinstall of windows would remove any rootkits and malicious software generally. There is a chance something could remain in a bios, but Macs have Efi so that shouldn't be an issue. The only thing that has bios on it is my graphics card.

I use a SSD harddrive (and have a second HDD drive HFS+ formated which holds mp3 files) and at this point the only other thing I can think of doing to ensure my mac/pc are secure except doing a clean reinstall of os x mavericks using a USB bootdisk.

Is a clean OS X install even necessary or am I being overly cautious? Are there other steps i should take (checking my router for example?). If I do a clean re-instal of OS X, should I most likely be secure?

Thanks.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'll assume that your Boot Camp partition is using an MBR map, which is used by Boot Camp on older Macs

Anyway, since your OS X partition is GPT, I doubt the virus can infect the OS X side. Windows viruses can get passed into a Mac, but only if it was obtained through the Mac side, and it still won't infect a Mac because it just can't run in OS X.

Since you obtained the virus through the Windows side, it still can't get into your OS X side because Windows cannot write to HFS+ partitions without special software like Paragon HFS+.

Remove your Boot Camp partition and reinstall Windows. And also buy a decent antivirus like Norton 360 Premier (which I use myself).

You don't have to reinstall OS X. That said, if you still feel uneasy, go download ClamXav from the Mac App Store to give your OS X side a complete virus scan.