Question about Powebook G4 12" startup phase

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by raffaelepizz, Jun 19, 2014.

1. raffaelepizz macrumors newbie

Dear all,

my Powebook G4 12" (model: A1010) during its start-up phase remains stuck on the "initial gray screen" without displaying the apple logo. However, I can access the system through the console provided by Open Firmware.

I would like to ask you what could be the problem and where such problem may reside (hard drives, memory, main board, etc). Moreover, I would like to ask you how I could try to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance.
    Raffaele

2. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

First, I would suggest trying to boot it into safe mode by holding the Shift key as soon as you turn it on before the Mac chime.

If that doesn't work, I would try reinstalling Mac OS X. I have the same model as you, an A1010 as well. Unless you continue to have frequent issues installing Mac OS, I wouldn't go right ahead and assume it is a hardware issue.

Fortunately for you I don't think your PowerBook has the same issue that mine does. Mine is nasty and can really only be fixed with a logic board replacement.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Open the Startup Disk pref pane and select your internal hard drive. That usually corrects longer boot pauses like the one you are experiencing.