Question about Power Button and Dock icons

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iBookG4user, May 10, 2010.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Currently I am having to run a server for a program off of a shared computer. (Yes, I know it is not ideal, but my budget is tight right now) The other users of the computer have been told about this, but have the habit of pressing the power button to put the computer to sleep. This takes it offline.

Anyway, I'm looking for a way to change the function of the power button from putting the computer to sleep to turning the display off. That way it would remain online and the other users won't take it offline by pressing the power button.

My second question is about dock icons. The server program has an icon in the dock that shows it is running. I would like to know if there is anyway to prevent the icon from showing up so the other users do not accidentally quit the program.

Thank you :)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Thank you for the response. And about the first question again, how was the power button set to make the computer sleep in the first place? The computer is an iMac (Core Duo) running Leopard. But my MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo) running Snow Leopard has always displayed a window showing "Restart, Sleep, Cancel, Shutdown" instead of putting the computer to sleep.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

There used to be an option under  -> System Preferences -> Energy Saver saying something along the lines of "Allow the power button to sleep this computer". It doesn't show up on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro though, which is also my first Snow Leopard computer, so either it has been moved or it's not supported on this computer. It's too bad too, because I like that feature. I guess closing the lid is just as easy and has the added benefit of keeping dust off my display, but I'd still like the old sleep method back.

On further consideration, while I don't use it myself, InsomniaX may work to keep users from putting the computer to sleep.