Question about power failures...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by freddyaudiophil, May 25, 2008.

1. freddyaudiophil macrumors newbie

Hi folks:

Is there anything you can do on a mac with regards to checking a disk to ensure that there are no bad sectors on it, etc.?

We get the odd power outage where I live and just was curious... was using the new mac this AM and the power went out all of a sudden. Just trying to be proactive I guess and see if there was anything wrong with the drive.

freddy

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Disk Utility>Verify Disk.

You should likely invest in a basic UPS if your power is spotty on a recurring basis.

Attached Files:

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Actually, a basic UPS is likely worse than useless. I bought 5 Belkin basic 'office' type UPSs - every one of them failed within 4 months, but as they failed, they would actually crash the machine regularly on momentary power outages -- ones so short that un-'protected' machines didn't even blink, but the Belkin UPSs attempted to switch to battery, ^#%@!ed up, and crashed the machines that were plugged into them.

Prepare to spend a bit more for a quality unit like an APC (American Power Conversion) or Tripplite, with a higher VA rating than you need, and one that has full time Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) that will cover most brown outs without having to switch to battery.

4. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

download smart reporter. it is free and will tell you when your disk is failing.

--Eric

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Did I put my assumptions where nobody could see them again? :p

I agree, Belkin (and Tripplite, for that matter, IME) are both junk. I used to resell only APC to my business customers, and to me there's no other brand. I use the term UPS anymore meaning specifically APC like I say Band-Aid, Kleenex, etc. I just thought everyone did!

For typical home use, 900va--my definition of "basic"--is more than sufficient (assuming you don't do something silly like plugging a laser printer into it). Remember, the only function of a UPS is to permit a graceful shutdown, NOT to keep running in a power outage.

6. Chrycopsycho macrumors member

Apc

RE: APC
    I've actually been looking into buying an APC but every one I've looked at shows support for G5's; Will these units and their software work for my new Imac?
    Thanks guys
    Chris

7. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi,
    No, the APC software will not work with the Al iMacs. OS X has an option for using the APC.
    Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES>ENERGY SAVER. Change the "Settings for:" from Power Adapter to UPS at the top of the page. Then click on the UPS button in the middle of the three options and you have three different methods of shutting down the iMac when it is on a UPS. Nice!
    Morod

8. Chrycopsycho macrumors member

Thank you !

Hey Morod, thanks a bunch for this. I appreciate you taking the time for me.
    Chris:)

9. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

No problem!
    For the record, I have the 24", 2.4GHz Al iMac. It uses approx. 450 VA (volt amps, how UPS's are rated). I'm using a 750 VA APC (the ES750BB). It works great. +1 for APC.
    Morod