Question about pre-ordering the new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikeyiphone, May 26, 2010.

1. mikeyiphone macrumors regular

How long do you think it will last before the pre-order supplies are sold out?

If anyone remembers pre-ordering the 3GS was it sold out that day or did it last a few days?

Thanks in advance.

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

depends from where. att orders it so they make it from scratch but if you order it too late you dont get it day 1. :apple: is basic pre ordering. they didnt run out day 1 at most places tho

3. elephunkman macrumors 65816

If I remember correctly, Apple preorder basically guarantees you a device for that day. The day after, the phone is up for grabs. AT&T is true preorder because they order the phones based on how many preorders they get and then they order a bit more for other people.

4. azsprty macrumors 6502

I preprdered the 3GS and had an 8 hr time span to pick it up...but camped out anyhow. Lol

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The web pre-orders ran up to the Wednesday before I think, so about 9 days. They did not sell out in a day. It was about a week. And even then it was stopped probably to guarantee release date delivery, not due to a sell out.

6. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

Here where I live they didn't get any for extra people all they had were pre-orders and I had to order mine from at&t store. Also bestbuy didn't even get that many and the ones they did get were pre-ordered. This was for the 3gs.

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Has there been any advantage to pre-ordering from ATT over Apple? I'm eligible for full upgrade, if that matters.

8. kyleb822 macrumors member

kyleb822

was there an option for the 3GS to pre-order it and have it delivered to your house on launch day? do you think they will do this for the iphone 4g?

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

10. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Yes, there was. You could either have it delivered to the house (or work or whatever) or to the AT&T store on launch day. To have it sent to the AT&T store, you had to preorder in-store (or possibly on the phone, not sure); to have it sent to your home, you could preorder online. I know because I did both, not realizing until I got all the way through the process that I couldn't select the option to have it sent to the store when I ordered online. When I contacted AT&T about either changing it (which they said they couldn't do) or canceling it (also couldn't do), they advised me that the only way to "cancel" an order is to wait for it to be delivered and then refuse delivery. If there's a less efficient way to handle something like that short of returning it via carrier pigeon, I'd be curious to hear what it is. So I ended up with 2 white 32GB 3GSs on launch day, if only for a short time.

Sorry for that little tangent. :) Basically, the answer to your questions are 1) yes, and 2) I have no idea, but I'd guess so.

11. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

Yes there was. My husband ordered my 3GS from AT&T sometime around a week-10 days before launch day, can't remember exactly when. It arrived on our doorstep mid morning on launch day. Way better than standing in line if you ask me. I won't be upgrading this year though.