Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtgrad95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Atlanta, GA.
I was wondering if you you pre-order the phone through Apple and have it shipped to your home, is the box already opened? I'm assuming they have to open the box and activate the phone via iTunes before shipping it out.

The reason I ask is that I love Apple's packaging and I kinda wanted to open the box myself when it arrived and be the first to hold it :)

youngplaya0228

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
I was wondering if you you pre-order the phone through Apple and have it shipped to your home, is the box already opened? I'm assuming they have to open the box and activate the phone via iTunes before shipping it out.

The reason I ask is that I love Apple's packaging and I kinda wanted to open the box myself when it arrived and be the first to hold it :)
They don't activate the phone, you do when you sync the phone thru iTunes. Needless to say, it won't be opened

zenntench_oni

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
i also have a question about pre-ordering. do we have to pay 199.99 just to preorder on that day? or they will charge it once it ships?

gtgrad95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Atlanta, GA.
Thanks for the replies. I plan to pre-order it, activate it on AT&T, then unlock it, and use it on T-Mobile. I don't mind paying the ETF. The question is, I've heard on here that you have to wait 31 days before cancelling and paying the ETF. How come you can't just do it a couple of days later?

ajsnow6234

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I plan to pre-order it, activate it on AT&T, then unlock it, and use it on T-Mobile. I don't mind paying the ETF. The question is, I've heard on here that you have to wait 31 days before cancelling and paying the ETF. How come you can't just do it a couple of days later?

You're pretty confident you'll be able to unlock right away huh?

youngplaya0228

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
i also have a question about pre-ordering. do we have to pay 199.99 just to preorder on that day? or they will charge it once it ships?
Kind of want to know this too, but guessing from previous experience (mainly Amazon.com), they only charge you once it is shipped.

Edit: nvm, but still seems like it'll be awhile

ajsnow6234

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I'm sure that it will happen too, but it's not going to happen the day of the launch. You might be better off waiting till after the launch to purchase and unlock when you know there actually is an unlock

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.