Question about pre-ordering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gtgrad95, Jun 14, 2010.

1. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

I was wondering if you you pre-order the phone through Apple and have it shipped to your home, is the box already opened? I'm assuming they have to open the box and activate the phone via iTunes before shipping it out.

The reason I ask is that I love Apple's packaging and I kinda wanted to open the box myself when it arrived and be the first to hold it :)

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

No, the box is not already opened. You activate the phone.

3. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

They don't activate the phone, you do when you sync the phone thru iTunes. Needless to say, it won't be opened

4. zenntench_oni macrumors regular

zenntench_oni

i also have a question about pre-ordering. do we have to pay 199.99 just to preorder on that day? or they will charge it once it ships?

5. gtgrad95 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I plan to pre-order it, activate it on AT&T, then unlock it, and use it on T-Mobile. I don't mind paying the ETF. The question is, I've heard on here that you have to wait 31 days before cancelling and paying the ETF. How come you can't just do it a couple of days later?

6. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

You're pretty confident you'll be able to unlock right away huh?

7. gtgrad95 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure. I have faith in the dev team :) I'm sure they already have a hole in the baseband in iOS 4 and are just waiting for it to come out to release it.

8. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

Kind of want to know this too, but guessing from previous experience (mainly Amazon.com), they only charge you once it is shipped.

Edit: nvm, but still seems like it'll be awhile

9. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

I'm sure that it will happen too, but it's not going to happen the day of the launch. You might be better off waiting till after the launch to purchase and unlock when you know there actually is an unlock