Question about Price Drops

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by turtlebud, Mar 5, 2009.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

So back in October 2008 when Apple introduced the redesigned macbook pros (and macbooks), the previous generation macbook pros had a big price drop ($2499 to $1799 for the high end MBP). I've been combing the old threads here at macrumors to see if something similar happened the last time Apple released new Mac Pros (Jan 2008), but I haven't been able to find anything. My two questions are:

1. were there price drops on previous generation Mac Pros when they introduced the new ones in Jan 2008?
    2. if there weren't how come the MBPs go through a price drop, but the Mac Pros don't (I suspect it has something to do with the volume of the units sold, but that's just a guess)

2. Psychmike macrumors regular

There are updates and there are updates. Some are relatively minor speed bumps. Some are more significant feature changes. And some are generational changes (e.g., from the rainbow drop to the sunflower to the single piece iMacs). The move from the old MBP design to the unibody design seems like a very significant one and perhaps this is one reason that the price dropped so much on the older models. The Mac Pros on the other hand retained essentially the same design.

Also, Mac Pros are typically used by folks who are commonly less price-sensitive than the average consumer while MBPs seem to have wider appeal.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike