Question about "privacy mode" in browsers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GanChan, Feb 2, 2011.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure I completely understand the whole "secure browsing" thing, so I thought I'd float out a rather elementary-school question about it.

As I understand it, "secure" or "private" browsing options, such as those in safari or Firefox, block incoming cookies and scrub the cache/browser history at the end of each online session. I've always preferred working with Camino, for simplicity's sake, in spite of its lack of a "private browsing" option -- I just set it so it always asks me if I want to accept a cookie from a given site (accepting or declining as I see fit), and I clear out my cache and history manually, out of habit.

So, are these other browsers' secure modes offering something special or additional other than the convenience of automating the process for me? Because if they aren't, I'll just keep using Camino....

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

That's pretty much it. It just erases your visit from your comp. Clearing cache, cookies, and history is essentially doing the same thing. The only difference is "Private Browsing" is not storing this data initially.