question about protools and my imac G5

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mjarema414, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mjarema414 macrumors newbie

I have a 1.8ghz imac G5 with a 160 gb HD. I have approx. 139gb free and was wondering if m-powered protools would run well on my system. I have 2gb of ram on the way and was thinking about either upgrading the interenal hard drive, getting an external drive or both. I'm leaning toward the profire 2626. Basically, I'm not sure if I should use an external HD or my internal HD to run protools. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. mjarema414 thread starter macrumors newbie

protools 8 on 3 year old imac?

Any thoughts on how protools 8 would run on an imac from 2005? I have about 139 gb free and 2 gigs of ram on the way from crucial.com. I bought it used in close to mint condition. At most, I'd like to do 12 simultaneous tracks. Thanks for any help with this.

3. dual64bit macrumors 6502

I've had some experience with the previous version of pro tools, it sounds like it will run, just to what capacity..

4. redmoth macrumors newbie

anybody else having a problem installing protools 8 i have 10.5.6?

5. mjarema414 thread starter macrumors newbie

My only concern was the 1.8 ghz processor and the fact it's a considered an "old computer". I plan on using an external hard drive but I didn't purchase protools yet. I'm thinking maybe I should have spent the extra cash on a refurb imac instead of 500.00 on a used imac G5. It still runs great and I was able to upgrade to leopard without an issue. Just not sure.