Question about purchase from 3rd party retailer

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mcgowan7, Mar 7, 2009.

1. mcgowan7 macrumors newbie

If I buy a mac pro from somewhere other than apple.
    MacMall? BH Photo, anywhere else, do I still get the 1 year of apple care?
    Can I still purchase the 3 year apple care on my own and how?

What about Ebay? If I buy from ebay, what are my warranty options?

Thx

2. Fomaphone macrumors regular

90 days is standard. and as long as you order it from an authorized place like b&h for example, you can purchase apple care for it.

if you buy it from eBay, you're not getting it from an authorized seller and the auction description would have to state explicitly that it's applecare eligible or still under warranty. if you ask for the SN of the machine you're purchasing, you can see if it's eligible online.

as for buying the apple care on your own, you can buy it from apple or on eBay, which many users here recommend.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes, your Mac will carry the standard 1 year factory warranty (1 year hardware and 90 days of phone support) if you buy it new, though technically it is not referred to as Applecare. Buying used will carry the balance of the 1 year factory warranty based on the purchase date which started the clock running. To find out the date the factory warranty started on used equipment you can check the serial number in the Apple Online Service Assistant.

In either case, Applecare can be purchased within the first year and if purchased within 90 days will extend the phone support section of the warranty as well to the full three year term (1 year factory warranty plus the two additional years of Applecare).

Do keep in mind that (if you wind up buying used or "new" off eBay) that Apple does reserve the right within their warranty terms to ask to see the original purchase receipt for items before warranty work is performed, so while this is seldom the case it could potentially cause you problems down the line. Forewarned is forearmed! ;)

By the way, if you want to see the standard hardware warranty terms, you can go to this page and download the PDF regarding it.