Question about putting macbook pro to sleep with apple remote?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by divang, May 16, 2009.

1. divang macrumors member

I've read you can put the macbook pro to sleep using the Play button and holding it for 3-5 seconds it'll dim and show a picture of a Apple Remote with ZzzZZzz's about it and then go to sleep.

Ok so I tried this and it worked fine when to sleep and LED started to blink, my question is, the pictures of seen and guides i've read said a remote with the zZzZZz's above it should show right before it sleeps, I never see this? Is it a option you turn on or did I do something incorrectly?

Also, why does the led blink brighter when the lid is closed and sleeping compared to open and sleeping where it blinks less bright?

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Wow, that's pretty neat. I can't tell you how many times I have been using front row before going to bed and wanted to sleep the computer without having to get up. Now I can!

I don't know about the MBP, but I tried it on my iMac and I did get the picture of the remote with the ZZzZ's.

3. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

pressing and holding play until it sleeps on my unibody macbook pro shows the zzZzzZ symbol.

if it goes to sleep, i don't think there's anything to worry about.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

5. divang thread starter macrumors member

Mmm...

Anyone else? Does it show the picture on your macbook pro?

Im just trying to figure out if it's because my macbook pro is a older model, and it only showed up on the newer models? But wouldnt it just a a software based thing?

Anyone? I know i should worry about it if it works fine, but just want to figure out why it doesn't show it in the first place.

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I get it on my previous gen MBP as well (2.16 C2D)

Attached Files:

7. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I've got the older model, too (silver key MBP, early '08), and I get the ZzzzZzz picture too.

At least it happened until I lost my remote last month :p

8. divang thread starter macrumors member

I have a late 2006 I think mbp, Have you guys tried making it go to sleep with the remote WHILE its in front row? do you guys get the remote sign still then? Or only when your in the main menu of OSX?

Are there settings for the remote I don't know about that could cause me not to get the graphic when being put to sleep?

9. moiety macrumors member

I have an early 2006 MBP, the first ever made. I get the remote Zzzs.

You probably have a messed-up system install that's missing the image file? Try reinstalling the latest Front Row update from apple.com/downloads.

There's no publically accessible settings to play with.

10. divang thread starter macrumors member

Nope did the most recent 2.1.7. front row file, nothing.

Any other ideas what it might be? maybe it's not connected to front row but something on OSX itself?

11. moiety macrumors member

You're not supposed to get the Zzzzz icon if you sleep the machine from within Front Row. Is that why you're worried? Or do you not get it even if you sleep it from the Finder?

With regards to your earlier question, the different light intensity on the sleep indicator is a design decision. It's supposed to glow stronger when the lid is shut. I'd guess it does that so you *know* that the lid is shut properly, as the latch on the pre-unibody MBPs doesn't always engage fully when the lid is shut.

12. divang thread starter macrumors member

Naw I don't get it in front row or finder, thats why it's got me kinda "eh" on why it's not working. I mean it's nothing major, but it just annoys me when something isn't suppose to work like it's suppose to. It'll bother me till I figure out why it's not working.

13. bov macrumors 6502

whoa! sweet trick!

i just have to press play/pause button on the remote 3 seconds either in Front Row or in OSX and the screen goes black, then to sleep after a few seconds.

neat! thanks!

14. moiety macrumors member

Try this: make a new Administrator user, completely log out of your account, log in to the new account, and try it there. Does it work now?

15. divang thread starter macrumors member

OH crap it does work!

So whats the problem? why won't it work under my own account/admin?

16. moiety macrumors member

Something's wrong with your account. Could be a preference file, or something you have running in the background that conflicts with the remote, or a permissions problem, or something else.

Young Grasshopper, do the following:

1. Repair permissions using Disk Utility and reboot. Does it work yet?

2. Under Accounts in System Preferences, turn off all Login Items for your user. Log out and log back in. Does it work yet?

3. Trash your preference files for the Finder and Front Row. (You will lose your preferences.) Log out and log back in. Does it work yet?

17. divang thread starter macrumors member

You mind doing a step by step for each of those? So for sure I don't mess anything.

Also, for number 2, what happens when I turn of these Login items? and same for 3, what preferences will be lost?

EDIT: I tried number 2, that didn't seem to work, so I just need a step by step to do 1 and 3, also what do you mean my preferences will be lost? what preferences?

18. divang thread starter macrumors member

Moiety? you still there? I coudl seriously use your help, I have no idea how to do what you described in 1 and 3

19. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Go to Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Disk Utility
    Select your HD and then press the Repair Disk Permissions button :)
    [​IMG]