question about quicktime recent list

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaveTheRave, Mar 14, 2010.

1. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Hi,

In the current version of Quicktime I have a list of recently opened files. I am curious about the icons and where the data is saved. I recently watched a AVI file from a website. After empyting the Safari cache and emptying the trash, I can still view the file by clicking on the file name in the recent list, even though I had the internet shut off. So the file is saved somewhere on my Macbook. Where is this video saved? How can I locate it? I though the small globe icon next to the file name meant quicktime had to go the web to access the file to replay it. But apparently its saved on my machine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

If you are disconnected from the internet and you can still view the file then it is stored somewhere on your computer. When the file is open in Quicktime player, hold down the Command (Apple) key and click on the filename in the Quicktime window to see the path.

3. DaveTheRave thread starter macrumors 6502a

That doesn't work with this file. Could it be saved in a temp directory?

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Maybe, but I still think it would show the path. If you want to get really down to it then open activity monitor when the file is open in Quicktime player, then select Quicktime from the list of processes and select Inspect (maybe be a different name in English OS X). This will show you all files that are in use by the application, and the paths to them. This will probably confuse you to no end, but it should show up there.