Question about Raid?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bigmat1201, Oct 19, 2008.

1. bigmat1201 macrumors member

How would I get the data off a pair of HD's in Raid 0 format?

Can I just take them out of the enclosure and hook them up separately and copy the data off one drive at a time?

I know that Raid 0 writes the data to them in a special way so that they are faster, something like splitting up any data that come in into two chunks, and writes one chunk to one HD and the other chunk to the other HD, is that correct?
    If it is, than my first solution isn't going to work, is it?

The other thought ,does someone make an application that un-splits up all the files and write them normally on the HD's so that they could be put in separate HD enclosures?

Any info would be great.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

You would need a drive large enough to copy the data from stripped pair (RAID 0).

If either drive in the stripe has died, the data is gone. Period. :(
    No.
    Yes. It's called stripping. Check wiki for a full explanation. ;)

3. bigmat1201 thread starter macrumors member

ok, so the only way I can get the data off is by copying it to another HD of the same size? That sucks.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

It would only need to be large enough to hold the data. So if you only have say 250GB of files, you'd only need a 250GB drive. But, if the RAID 0 is full (say 1TB), yes, you'd need a 1TB single to hold it all. You could try to split it up onto smaller drives, assuming you have them. ;)

Sorry I can't be more specific, but you didn't say the size of the RAID 0 array. ;)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it's striping, not stripping. But I'm sure you meant that.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

I type fast, and just look for the red underscore. ;) Unfortunately, both spelled versions are valid.
    Meaning on OTH, is another story. :p Oops. :eek:

7. bigmat1201 thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately its a 1 TB, and its full. I might have enough smaller drives though. Thanks