Question about RAM, I can't buy OWC =(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bender o, Jan 19, 2011.

1. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Hi, I have a mid 2010 13" MBP and I want to upgrade to 8Gb RAM (because I see bumpy 720p movies and I think its the RAM because it's always like at 30Mb after I see one). Anyhow I've been searching the forums and it seems to be that OWC is almost everyone's choice in terms of price/quality and I was going for this one http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/ but since I need them to be shipped to my hotel and paypal won't confirm a hotel address I was thinking on buying some off amazon (not from eBay because I've heard it's not the best place to buy RAM) but I can't seem to find OWC on amazon.

Do you guys know if this Kingston will be ok?
    http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modu...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295446559&sr=1-1-fkmr0

Technical Details
    Model: KTA-MB1066K2/8G
    Item Package Quantity: 1
    Hardware Platform: Mac
    RAM Memory Technology: DRAM, DDR3 SDRAM
    Form Factor: SO DIMM 204-pin
    Memory Storage Capacity: 8 GB
    Memory Speed: 1066 MHz
    Memory Specification Compliance: PC3-8500
    Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty
    OEM Equivalent Part Number: Apple MC016G/A

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Interesting. I checked out using Amazon when I bought my RAM from OWC in November. Made life simpler since they already had all my info. (Did it from the OWC site).

B

3. nfable macrumors regular

nfable

"paypal won't confirm a hotel address"

Mr. Hughs?

4. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Looks like desktop RAM. Notebook RAM should be 200 pin.

EDIT: Are you anywhere near a Fry's location http://frys.com

B

6. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Go to the Kingston site and use their configurator.

7. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

ftw.

8. Fgirl macrumors member

i just bought some stuff from owc, their checkout gives a button right there at the lower right of the checkout page to pay through amazon... isn't that what you're looking to do? instead of going to amazon and looking for owc merchandise, use amazon at owc's site... i'm no pro at buying stuff online, but i thought maybe you might have just missed the amazon checkout button at owc.

9. rjbruce macrumors regular

I wouldn't buy from ebay, there are better more reputable places to buy from. Not saying I haven't gotten some great deals from ebay but I've also gotten some real crap.

Newegg is a great site for computer parts and I've bought quite a bit through them. They also have a great RMA policy (so I've heard). I've had good luck with Mushkin RAM, although I haven't used the specific DIMMs they have on their site. They accept credit card or paypal.

Also if the issue is "trust" you can check vendors on bizrate.com, for instance Newegg has an outstanding overall rating as well as outstanding marks in all categories.

10. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

/%/&$&%/$ I can't shop on Newegg either :( and here I have to pay twice as much for the same RAM 200usd for an 8Gb set =(

How are the prices at best buy or places like that? I'm going to Miami :)

11. rjbruce macrumors regular

Best Buy has this part number on their site: KTA-MB1066/4GETR. Assume this is a pretty common part that they carry in the stores. I can not speak for this memory personally but given the limitations you're facing, it may be your best option. You'll need 2! ;)

Edit: This looks like it's the same or similar to what you originally posted from amazon.

12. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

Thanks everyone I ended up convincing my mom that it was a safe store and she let me use her credit card anyway :D I just hope they don't ask me to fax anything 'cause that'll be kindda tricky lol

Thanks once again I love this forum :D

13. rjbruce macrumors regular

Just a thought, in the future get a prepaid Visa. you can reload as needed and in the rare event the card is "stolen" you just don't add any additional funds to it.

Enjoy your mem.

14. wpotere Guest

Nope, not Hugh....:p

15. bender o, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

:eek: :eek: :eek: How do you do that??!?!?!?! :D

EDIT:

Damn I don't have a social security number :( I'll keep googling to see if I can get one outside the US :D

Thanks for the tip :)