Question about Ram speed.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rjmorr67, Apr 25, 2008.

1. rjmorr67 macrumors newbie

Hi I just bought 2 OWC 512MB PC133 CL2 2-2-2 168 Pin High Performance SDRam for my G4 digital audio. I installed them with no problem but when I checked the memory in system profiler it shows the speed as PC100-322s. I left the original 256 SDRAM in and it shows it speed at PC133-333. My question is shouldn't the speed of the new ram be PC133 and was I shipped the wrong RAM?

Just looking for some advice before I call them.

Thanks for any help given.

2. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

That's definitely odd because the Digital Audio G4 shouldn't be able to run PC100 RAM on its 133MHz RAM bus. You're certain you have the DA and not the previous "gigabit ethernet" G4?

3. rjmorr67 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Well PC100 RAM shouldn't work in there, so if it works, then logically the RAM is simply reporting the wrong speed. A couple of ideas...

1. Download Rember. It's a memory test and it's first function is to report the details of the installed RAM. Then run a memory test.

2. Assuming you still have it, boot to your Apple Hardware Test CD and see the RAM listed there, as well as perform a test, preferably looped.

Maybe a clue will surface...

5. rjmorr67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Yadmonkey, I ran rember and everthing passed. I took 2 hours but like I said everthing came back good.

6. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

That's good news - did it report the memory correctly (as PC133)?

7. rjmorr67 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

It should show you right when you open the program, before you even run a test. If not, go to the Window menu and choose Memory Info.

9. rjmorr67 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. rjmorr67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yadmonkey, Have a question. The reason I bought the extra RAM is because some higher resolution movies playing of my hard drive play back choppy they start and stop. Would you know if that is a RAM, processor speed(733Mhz) or video card (using ati radeon 9600 pro) or somthing else?

Thanks again for all your help.

11. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

What is the format of the files you're trying to view? High def WMV files won't play well - I know because I have a dual 1GHz G4 with a Radeon 9800 and 2GB DDR RAM and I can't view HD WMV on it without performing a lengthy export to Quicktime format first. I'd think a QT HD file would have a better chance on your machine.

12. rjmorr67 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried both ways same results. I guess the old girl is showing her age.

One more question and I will leave you alone. I am thinking of upgrading with a New Tech 2.0Ghz processor (not just for movies) and getting 10.5 leopard(running 10.3.9 now). Do have any experience or opinion for both?

Thanks again you are a great asset to this forum!!

13. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Food for thought... rather than putting money into the G4 ($400 for the proc and $120 for Leopard), you might consider getting a new Mini, which is just a little more money and that line should be refreshing soon.

The reason I say this is that even with the little integrated graphics power they have, they do fine with HD video, as does my Macbook. Those little Intel chips spank the G4s too.

I just did a test between my G4 and C2D Macbook which you might find relevant. I exported a 200+GB HD WMX file into Quicktime format, starting both computers together. I'm not sure how long the Macbook took because I left the house, knowing how long the G4 takes, but when I returned the Macbook was done and the G4 was about 25% into it.