Question about RAM Upgrading...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dime4dice, Feb 20, 2015.

1. dime4dice macrumors newbie

dime4dice

hey everyone, so i am still in the market of purchasing an imac. From what i was told, the 21.5....you cannot upgrade memory. I was wondering if there is a way to actually bypass it. If this cannot happen, i guess i will just go with the 27 inch model but then again i feel like it would be pretty big since i feel 21.5 inch is just fine in the living room. I cannot see myself paying so much for the memory of letting apple upgrade my memory in the 21.5 when i can just do it myself if its possible.

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

The memory in the 21" iMac is not upgradable by most people. I believe some tech-heads have upgraded their RAM, but I'm not possible.

Before I bought the 27" iMac, I thought it might be too big. It's not. I sold it a few months ago because I have a rMBP and a 27" Acer K272HUL; the combination gives me the same screen size and resolution as the 27" iMac.

RAM is very easy to upgrade in the 27" iMac.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The current 21.5-inch can have more memory - if you order it with the optional 16GB. You can't add the memory later - and Apple won't add it after the purchase.
    Those with memory slots CAN be upgraded later, by a (non-trivial) disassembly to get at slots.

The cheapest iMac (1.4 GHz i5 processor) has no such option, and 8GB is the only configuration.
    If the standard 8GB is not enough for you, then you have to order a model that can have more installed, either as a custom configuration, or the major surgery to do it later.
    For those, you can check the teardown at iFixit.com to see if that is something that you would like to do. :D
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2638+RAM+Replacement/28795

4. dime4dice thread starter macrumors newbie

dime4dice

yeaa....i think i will skip this option and just get myself an imac (27). im just kinda worried because im ready to pull the trigger on it but don't want to find out that in a couple of months...apple decides to upgrade their imacs into may retina display or more specs.

5. andy9l macrumors 68000

The current 27" iMac is retina :)

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Don't they sell less expensive non-Retina iMac 27" models?

Cheers,

7. andy9l macrumors 68000

Question about RAM Upgrading...

Ah, that's the 2013 model :)

They sure do - and there's not much difference in terms of performance. If you're looking at the 2013, I'd very very strongly advise upgrading the hard drive to a Fusion drive if not an SSD.

I don't want to cross a line with that recommendation, but it's something I personally feel very strongly about. Apple should not be selling standard hard drives in a £1,500 computer in 2015.

Are you in the UK by any chance? (On my phone so can't see)