Question about RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Unprocessed1, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Guess I'm a total newb when it comes to RAM, but I have a few questions.

1) I'm going to be getting a 2.26ghz 13" MBP. Will updating the RAM to 4 or 6 GB make a real-life difference in speed and performance? Is it worth the money? I currently have a 2.8Ghz MBP with 4 GB of RAM. Would I notice a big everyday performance between the 2 models?

2) When you buy 4 GB of RAM, does that mean you can add it to the 2 GB of RAM you already have to get 6GB? Not really sure how that works out. Do you have to replace your old RAM first?

3) Is replacing RAM idiot proof? Is there any special thing you need to do like reinstall the OS or configure internal settings?

BTW, I'm planning on installing an 80 GB Intel SSD (2nd gen) but I can't seem to find any (even the 1st gen ones are at the old price???), so I guess my main concern is upgrading the RAM worth it?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

1. Noticing a difference between 4GB and 6GB will be minimal at best. Noticing a difference between the 2GB you have now and what you upgrade to could happen though, depending on what you're using your computer for. You'll notice that you'll be able to use more programs at the same time, and you'll be able to work faster with programs that store a lot of information in RAM (including things like video, audio, or photo editing).

2. Yes, you could buy just one stick of 4GB RAM and add it to the 2GB stick you already have. Note that you'll get slightly better performance in having matched pairs, however. Although it's not required.

3. You don't have to change any settings after it's installed. It's all automatic and your Mac should just recognize it after you've installed it.

3. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Thanks for the response. So if I bought 4GB, all I have to do it stick it in the memory slot, and I have 6GB of RAM? I just don't know how many many memory sticks you can fit in

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yes, you could just put it in the memory slot and you're done. Your Mac has two slots available. Note, however, that if you have 2GB right now... are you sure there's one 2GB stick in there? Or could there be two 1GB sticks in there?

5. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Haven't even bought it yet :(

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think you have to double the RAM size to make a noticeable difference. Going from 2 to 4 is noticeable but 4 to 6 is not. OK there are exceptions if you are using software that really uses RAM, like editing many large photos or videos. But in general use you have to double.

YOu gain about 5% or so by using matched pairs of RAM. The system can read data from a matched pair twice as fast. In some odd, CPU intensive cases it is better to have 4GB matched then 6 unmatched.

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Well get on it! You may receive it and discover that you don't need as much RAM as you think. Perhaps two 2GB sticks would be enough, giving you 4GB (which is, truthfully, probably the most popular RAM upgrade right now).

8. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I think I might just get an 80GB Intel SSD, and upgrade (cheaply) to 4 GB of RAM.

Just concerned that 80GB isn't big enough for both SL and W7

9. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Then try a Vertex 120GB. :D

10. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

11. mac2x macrumors 65816

Mine's (15") the same way. I'm going to upgrade to 4 one of these days.

12. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

Just upgraded to 6gb on my penryn macbook pro, speed increase is non existent, but Overall performance is much better. Now I can run after effects and Final cut pro without worrying about dip in performance. I also upgraded the hard drive to a 320gb Scorpio black, which right off the bat shows the most performance increase yet, so SSD should blow all this out of the water

13. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Just ordered me 80GB SSD (gen 2) from ebay. It was only $260 with bing cashback, so hopefully it'll make a dramatic speed difference.