Question about recording tv onto mac/ipod

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by techlover828, Feb 7, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I plan on starting to record football games on my mac. I will be purchasing a package from timewarner cable that includes all of the nfl games ! so I would like to record some of them and am not sure the best way to do it. I live at two houses and won't always be at the house where the package is purchased so it would be nice to have some stand alone box, but I guess it would have to run through the cable box as the package isn't part of basic cable so would I need a splitter? Actually now that I think about it it's hooked up to an HDTV via HDMI so maybe I need something more advanced, It would be nice to record in high def but if that costs a lot more than it's not really worth it. Let me know of your thoughts/experiences, thanks!

2. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

anyone have any thoughts?

I think that I need either this or this.

3. GregE macrumors 6502

I think your best bet is to get a DVR from Time Warner and use that to record the games. I love my Dish DVR!!!

4. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

ya, but I would like to avoid having to pay 5 bucks a month, also I don't know how easy it is to put those files on my mac

5. GregE macrumors 6502

Well you are going to have a problem this way. You will have to tune your cable box to the channel you want to record, program the Elgato to record it, and have both running. At least with a DVR, it will change the channel for you and start recording. Only one thing to set.

BTW, it's HDMI.

Granted, with a DVR, if you want to get the show off, you basically have to play it back and record it on the iMac. It's a PITB.

Have you looked into a Slingbox?

6. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

can you record video with the slingbox so I can watch it on my ipod?

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I haven't actually used this yet but it is an interesting product.

http://www.neurostechnology.com/

My latest PMP - A Cowon A3 - has built-in video recording capability, but I must admit I use it use it mostly for storing ripped DVD's.