Question about refurb Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by PegLegDreg, Mar 9, 2017.

1. PegLegDreg macrumors newbie

What is the difference between buying this refurb from Apple or new? Does the remote come with a fresh battery? Any help would be appreciated.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

The difference is likely none. The remote will almost undoubtedly be new, not refurbed. Things like remotes are not refurbished if returned. Unless returned in original factory wrapping, it'd need to be tested, cleaned and sanitized - it's not worth the cost of parts and labor.

The Apple TV itself would be the refurbished product. It carries a full warranty, and according to Apple practice, will have been tested more thoroughly than one that came off the factory line. Overall, people's experience with Apple refurbs is excellent.

3. PegLegDreg thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know whether you can download purchased films to the device or is it streaming only? The one I am looking at is 32 GB of storage.

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The storage is for apps as far as I know. Nothing else.

5. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

Almost every Apple product I own came from the Refub shelf. save iPhone and Macs. The only difference I have noticed is price.

You don't download any content to the ATV. The storage is for apps and cached streaming data. If you have downloaded content on a Mac or PC, you can stream it to the ATV in a number of ways. iTunes is the simplest way to stream content to the ATV, but VLC, Plex, Infuse, and probably many others are good ways to pull content from local shares.

6. hinesmj macrumors regular

Can't store anything on the device, it's just for apps. I picked one up refurb and it works beautifully.

7. tibas92013, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Over the last few years I have bought two (2) Refurbished Apple TV's(3rd Gen.) from the Apple On-Line Store along with AppleCare and I am one happy Apple Customer.

They are one of my favorite Apple Products which are connected to the TV's in the living room and bedroom. I use both everyday and they stand-up to the wear and tear.