Question about Refurb Cosmetics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Flight Plan, May 26, 2014.

1. Flight Plan, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014

Flight Plan macrumors regular

Flight Plan

Greetings:

I read someplace that refurbs from the Apple site look brand new, cosmetically speaking. But I haven't seen any actual Apple statement to this effect.

Is this true, or is it possible that there could be some blemishes (case, screen, keys, etc)?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is possible to have some cosmetic signs of former use. Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac notebook may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

3. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I have only read about perfect looking refurbs on here.

4. Flight Plan thread starter macrumors regular

Flight Plan

Hah, I already saw that; but that one bullet point didn't jump out at me. Thank you for the bold. :)

I saw one good one in the refurb store today; worked out to be about $600 less than the price of a similarly-configured new one. Wow.

But I promised myself I'd wait until after WWDC before I decide.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Even a brand new MBPro can have appearance problems/scratches/dents/fingerprints, etc.
    I think you should expect to find no visible defects...
    A Refurb would be no different - and the recourse that you have, as a customer, is the same as for brand new. If you have a cosmetic issue that you cannot handle, or don't find acceptable, you can return either a new or refurb for a refund or replacement within the first few days, even for no real reason. An individual store may have other options that could be acceptable to you - should you have that kind of question.

You shouldn't _expect_ ANY physical defects, even in your refurb.

Remember that should you choose to return a refurb, a replacement of the same model may not be available - refurb stock depends on other returns, eh?

6. Flight Plan thread starter macrumors regular

Flight Plan

Thank you all.

It's only a few weeks from WWDC, during which I'm hoping to hear about something new for rMBPs that really excites me, like a 17" screen (yes, I'm one of THOSE people!), more RAM, or more SSD space.

If I get that, then I'd probably go with a new unit. There will always be great deals on the Refurb store if Apple doesn't really come forward on the rMBP.