Question about Refurbish MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JC0205, Nov 7, 2008.

1. JC0205 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am new to this forum but I have read how the nvidia 8600 GPUs are defective in the old MBPs. I was planning on buying a refurbished MBP and was wondering if it was a good idea to buy the old ones with the ATI graphics card to avoid the defective problem all together. But those don't seem like good deals as it would cost $1299 for 2.16 GHz, 1GB ram, 120GB HD although it is suitable for my needs (except for the ram which I would plan to upgrade). Is the nvidia 8600 with 128 mb ram also defective? I really like the classic MBP design and the screen size but the only thing holding me back is the defects. I would consider the new macbook pros, but I love the old design so much more. Also this would be my first mac and hoping this computer will last me at least 3-4 years. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

:)

2. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Hey man! Glad you asked this.

I was in the same exact boat about 2 weeks ago. I heard about the MBP Classic GPU problem and was really apprehensive. I decided on the 2.4Ghz Penryn despite the GPU issues because Apple has extended the warranty on the GPU in these models to 2 years. I'm also adding Apple Care (wise despite model) and so it will be covered for 3 full years. The ones made post September of this year seem like they are fixed. At least thats what Apple is saying now.

I would check out eBay for the MBP Classic. I got mine for $1300 shipped after the live.com discount of $200. I'm so happy!!! :D

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The ATI MBPs have a very crusty X1600 video card. I'd take my chances w/ the NVidia. Odds are Apple has replaced the defective 8600 w/ a good one.

4. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

The X1600's are pretty old at this point. The 8600 GPU is covered under warranty, so I'd go with the newer one. for $50 more you get a much newer computer.

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

ep...go with the newer one. odds are you won't have any problems.

6. JC0205 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I think I'll just go with the nvidia GPU MBPs then. I just find it odd that the older models that have the ATI are more expensive than that ones with nvidia. Would the nvidia with 128mb also be defective? I don't really need the GPU, the nvidia 128mb would suit me but was wondering if my chances are better with the 128mb. Thanks guys! :D