Question About Refurbished iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by therealjustin, Feb 11, 2012.

1. therealjustin macrumors member

Is the manufacture date of refurbished iPhones(found by decoding the serial number) the real date when the phone was built? My replacement iPhone starts with 87130, with 87 being the factory and 130 being the 30th week of 2011 which would be sometime in July.

Was this phone rebuilt in July 2011 or is that the pre-refurb build date when it was sold new? Seeing as I just got the phone from AppleCare does that mean the battery is already 7 months old?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They replace the battery as part of the refurb process.

3. therealjustin thread starter macrumors member

I heard that they do, but was this phone re-built in July 2011 or is that the date when the phone was first built(sold as new)?

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

When the phone goes through the refurb process, it's given a brand new serial number - so it should be referring to when the refurb was built.

5. therealjustin thread starter macrumors member

Just reading some more about serial numbers and since it begins with 87 I guess it could be brand new. A little strange that it would have been sitting in a warehouse in PA for 7 months though.