Question about reinstalling OS X

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SteelBlueTJ, Jul 14, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I am selling my mid-2007 20" iMac. It originally came with Leopard 10.5 and I still have the install discs. Currently it is running Lion 10.7.4. I have a lion install flash drive. I plan to do the disk utility erase but should I install the original Leopard or Lion for resale? Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Well, I suppose legally you cannot sell it with Lion. Aside from that, as a practical matter, you might be better off just doing a reinstall of Leopard so the new owner does not later make any claim you should have provided a Lion installer. I don't think it will make that much difference in the price you get anyway.

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Doesn't matter. If you have Lion on your machine means it has been eligible to run on it.

Buyer will be much more allured if you're having Lion on it, so I suggest you keep it. Also it will be easier for the new owner to upgrade to ML whenever he/she wants to.

But don't forget to include Leopard DVD too since it should be part of the whole package and it would have better value.

4. SteelBlueTJ thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I'll probably just reinstall Leopard that way it's the same way it was when it was new. I forgot I also have a snow leopard dvd that I used myself to upgrade way back when it came out. Would it be ok to include that with the sale? I don't see why I would ever need it again. That way the new owner could upgrade to Snow Leopard then Lion then eventually ML when it comes out.

Also does anyone have any idea of what to price it at or what to expect to get out of it?
    Mid-2007 20" iMac 2.4 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    500GB Hard drive
    4GB Memory
    Wired keyboard and Magic Mouse
    Original box, paperwork and install discs included
    Everything works great and was well taken care of. Non-smoking home. Thanks

5. cypress822 macrumors regular

I have same computer except have 8gb ram and 650gb hard drive, sold mine in 3 days on Craig's list for $700

6. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Absolutely INCORRECT information!! Read the license agreement and you will see this is illegal. In addition Lion upgrades are tied to the AppleID so unless the seller wants to give someone his AppleID and his credit card information (totally dumb idea) at best it would be theft.

7. SteelBlueTJ thread starter macrumors 6502

I will restore it back to Leopard as it was when it was new. So, is it legally ok to include the snow leopard dvd with the sale even though it's not installed? It was previously installed on that machine once before, then I upgraded to Lion last year. Now I'm going back to Leopard 10.5 via the restore discs.

8. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I didn't realize some people would care a lot about that kind of license agreement and call it stealing as in filthy criminal.

You can create USB Lion installer, which bypass Apple ID restriction. You can install it on multiple Macs, you didn't asked CD-key during installation process. Basically Apple give it away for almost free. Pay once and you can use it on as many times on any Mac.

Or you can clean install your machine with SL, you have the DVD, you actually own it and you're going to give it away in the package anyway. So I think it's legal and it will be easier for new owner to upgrade to ML once it's available.

Or is that another illegal criminal act, Mr kauffman? :rolleyes: