Question about reinstalling OSX

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JetBlack7, Feb 27, 2014.

1. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Hey everyone,

I am reinstalling the OSX software to sell it afterwards. But when I tried to download the software to install, It needs my credentials.

My question is: If I install the software, can I remove my ID from the computer and what do I need to remove besides de-authorizing the computer from my account?

Thank you in advance

2. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

Hi,

Follow the instructions below to get your Mac to a factory default state:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5189

Basically you restart in recovery mode and format the hard drive and re-intsall OS X. This will download the version of OS X that came with the computer.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is asking for your AppleID because your machine did not come with Mavericks. If your machine came from the factory with Lion or newer you can use Internet recovery to reinstall the default OS.

To do that do a command-option-r key boot to Internet recovery. Once the recovery screen comes up start Disk Util and select the physical drive itself at the top of the list (above Macintosh HD) and erase the disk. Then quit Disk Util and click reinstall OS. This will download and install the default OS without asking you for a AppleID.

4. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Mine came with Snow Leopard. I just erased the disk and when I clicked install, it asked for my Apple ID. How do I bypass this? Or should I use the USB that came with it?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If it came with a USB installer, that is a Lion installer and yes you can just use that. Just option key boot to that and follow my earlier instructions.

But if you are getting asked for an AppleID, you missed a step. When you erase the drive you need to select the drive itself at the top (like Apple 128GB or whatever) and not just erase Macintosh HD. You need to select the drive name above Macintosh HD so it will erase the Mavs recovery partition.

6. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Did that just after answering your post. But ended up installing snow leopard from the usb stick. Thank you for your help :)