Question about reinstalling Snow Leopard???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by povsicf, Sep 14, 2009.

1. povsicf macrumors member

Hey I need to reinstall Snow Leopard on my Macbook. My question is there a way to reinstall Snow Leopard on my Macbook without loosing any of my programs and folders as it did when I installed it the first time as an upgrade? I don't have an external Hard drive so unfortunately I would not be able to backup my hard drive. So just curious if someone out there has done this or knows how to go about doing it. Thanks again in advance for all your help.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Can't you do the standard archive and install?

This reinstalls the Snow Leopard files again but not your own personal files?

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I just did this an hour ago.

All I did was stick the snowleopard disk in and go. Snow leopard reinstalled and I lost no programs whatsoever.

The only thing you will need to do is grab the upgrade to 10.6.1. Everything else is the same.

4. povsicf thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that info the only thing is that when I click on the installer, I get an error message saying that it can't reinstall because it the OS running right now on the computer needs to be 10.5 or less, does this make any sense to you??

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think it matters but which install disc do you have? The up to date disc or retail? By default Snow Leopard performs an archive and install so I don't see why it would be giving you any trouble.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hm thats odd. All I did was while the computer was turned on, I popped in the disk and clicked it and started to reinstall. The computer restarted, the reinstall happened at that was it. No error or anything.