iPad Question about release dates and new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chele519, Apr 11, 2013.

1. chele519 macrumors regular

I'm looking to purchase my first ipad. I would mainly be using it for web browsing and streaming to apple tv. I have a dedicated ereader so don't need it for that. I'm trying to cut back on my usage of my laptop to extend the life of it since I use it a lot for work.

I had planned to get a 4 but now with all the rumors coming out about the new 5, I think I'd rather wait. I'm the type of person who always gets buyers remorse so I know if I buy a 4 now, I'll be unhappy if a nicer 5 comes out in a few months.

I got my iphone 5 at launch but I don't remember when it was actually announced. Can anyone tell me approx how long before launch day are the announcements made of a new release? I know it varies, but I’m just looking for an idea. I know some rumors say they think it will be out in June, some in the fall.

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Apple will surely come out with new ipad sometime this year, how to stop that, if you really need it and buy it. Obviously some improvement will be there, how much no one knows.

3. simply stunning macrumors regular

I would say if you haven't bought up until this point you can hold out for a little longer. So if you are going to feel remorse, I would wait. A lot of people would disagree and say just buy it now and enjoy it while you have it. But I think there is something to be said for being patient, knowing what you want, and being able to wait for it.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think the question you need to ask yourself is, will you be ok if it turns put you have to wait until October or even early November? Because while iPad 5 could be released next month, it could also be as late as Oct/Nov. Overall, I suspect you'll be happier if you wait, but you should be aware you could be waiting more than a few months.

5. chele519 thread starter macrumors regular

That's the thing if it is more towards the end of the year I don't want to wait that long but I am going to wait until June and see if anything is announced then. If not I might pick up a cheap kindle that I can resell on Craigslist later.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think a new iPad will come out until July at the earliest.

7. chele519 thread starter macrumors regular

I'd be ok with waiting until August or September if it is announced that it's definitely coming, I just don't want to wait until the holidays

8. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

The iPad 4 got into the hands of buyers (like me!) in the afternoon on Friday, November 2. I'm sure Apple will wait for about this long too. So you're looking at exactly halfway in the cycle right now.

I waited off buying the 3 when it came out to get the iPad 4. Waited 7 months, and it was well worth it. Just my 2 cents.

9. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

How so? The differences are negligible.

10. ramram55 macrumors 6502

The mind of a manufacturer is to keep cranking out new products, there will always be new ipad once a year or half, there will be upgrades and sizes change, think of it, if the car manufactures keep upgrading their cars you keep buying cars every year ? unless you are filthy rich. The point is if you feel ipad is good enough in your hand, then keep using it until it dies or few years down the lane you need to upgrade, buy a new one, as simple as that.:)

11. maxosx macrumors 68020

I know the exact release date

History reveals its whenever Apple's ready.

No sooner.

12. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

"2013 - The Year of the Beveled Edge"

LOLOLOL

where all Apple products will have a beveled edge

13. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

I'm no analyst, but the likeliest timeframe I see would be October/November :(

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

the user experience on the iPad 2 has been so minimally upgraded in 2 years. They need fresh hardware and revamped software.

15. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

You are right in the fact that both devices aren't significantly different from one another. It was probably because I was hesitant at first to even buy one after the launch of the 3, and as I thought more and more about it, I had heard of the next gen launching sooner than expected.

16. macalec macrumors 6502

Sometimes its days, weeks from the time they announce to the sale, also could be a few months.

It all depends on how fast they can meet the demand and ramp up their production.

Also logistics does play a part in this.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Buy a cheap used 4, then you won't get as much remorse since you didn't buy it new and you won't loose as much money when you sell it.

----------

Aside from it being significantly faster, but if you only find worth if it looks different then yeah the differences were neglible.

18. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

If you easily get buyer's remorse, it's good that you're aware of it. Same goes for me. I can usually accept that something new comes out a few months after purchase, but I'll get really annoyed if it's only one month or less. Even worse is if the newer edition comes with a significant price drop (fool me once, Apple!) because then it gets harder to sell the old one to buy the newer one.

I myself am torn between waiting for the iPad 5 and getting the 4 right away, but it's easier for me when I already have an iPad 2 than if I didn't have an iPad in the first place. Something tells me that the 5 will be a major improvement over the 4, which is why I'm waiting even though I don't know when it will be released.

I wants it!

19. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

try to buy an used and cheap iPad3 and enjoy it till the 5 comes out... to me this will happen after august...