Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
First, I want to note that I really do like the iOS 7 reminders app. I've used a bunch of different apps (like 2do, Remember the milk, etc) that have a ton of options but decided that I like the simplicity of the reminders app.

The only thing that's driving me nuts is the notification banner that pops up. I use tasks in Outlook that syncs with my iOS reminders and usually put a lot of notes in my tasks. Now when a reminder pops up on my phone it shows the reminder title and also a bunch of the notes, usually taking up the whole screen.

Anyone know either a) if I can somehow just show the reminder title in the banner instead of the whole note section, OR b) is there a SIMPLE task/reminder app that syncs with the iOS reminders? I really like the way Clear looks but it doesnt seem to work with the iOS reminders.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do you have reminder notifications to come as alerts? As a workaround, perhaps you can set them as banners (if that would work for you), which would provide less space for them to appear in at the top of the screen.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Do you have reminder notifications to come as alerts? As a workaround, perhaps you can set them as banners (if that would work for you), which would provide less space for them to appear in at the top of the screen.

Thanks for the response. I've actually tried all different notification configurations. Guess this is one I'll have to live with.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the response. I've actually tried all different notification configurations. Guess this is one I'll have to live with.
Are you saying you get that kind of behavior even with banner notifications, or that banner notifications don't quite provide what you want/need and therefor you need to use alert pop-ups (which is what I assume you are using based on how you described the issue)?

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Are you saying you get that kind of behavior even with banner notifications, or that banner notifications don't quite provide what you want/need and therefor you need to use alert pop-ups (which is what I assume you are using based on how you described the issue)?

When I switched to the banner (instead of the alert) it still showed the reminder that included the memo portion. Looks really silly. I would think the banner would be just a few lines at the top but that's not what it does.

SO.... my solution was to download Calendar 5 by Readdle and sync my reminders. I turned OFF all reminder notifications on the built in reminders app and now use the Calendar 5 reminders. I honestly dont need all that app has to offer and am otherwise happy with the reminder app. Potentially the down side to this method is that at this point I dont think the Readdle app takes advantage of background refresh and so I have to go into the app I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.