Question about rendering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LEVENDIZ, Jan 7, 2013.

1. LEVENDIZ macrumors member

I have a question about rending on my macbook. I use Final Cut Pro X to edit videos i take using my GOPRO in HD.. my problem is i find it too slow to render with my mac so is there something i can buy that plugs in and gives me more processor/gpu power to render videos faster? I know of this http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Turbo264HD/product1.en.html so i thought it would be possible to have something for what i want it for.

Thanks, LEVENDIZ :apple:

2. Ploki macrumors 68000

3. LEVENDIZ thread starter macrumors member

4. Ploki macrumors 68000

5. LEVENDIZ thread starter macrumors member

Is making a Hackintosh as hard as it once was? Do you think specific hardware?

Thanks!

6. Ploki macrumors 68000

Nah, there are tons of compatibility lists on the web, and special distributions for them.

7. mcpix macrumors regular

When you say render, are you talking about the time it takes FCP X to render files in the background while you're editing them, or are you talking about the time it takes to output the files to whatever format you finally end up with?

I've found that FCPX is pretty quick at rendering files while I'm working on them, and also outputting to a quicktime file. The slow down comes when I use compressor to make either a DVD or Blu-Ray disc. However, once I hand the file off to Compressor, I can go back and work on something else.

8. Ploki macrumors 68000

whoops... Yeah. Intermediate rendering can't be offloaded unfortunately (yet).

Does Premiere have something like that?

9. LEVENDIZ thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i was looking for the rendering that takes place when i for example, apply a slow motion with optical flow and it has to render before i can preview the final product.. hope that makes sense :)