Question about repairs... No warranty, but a tinkered with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gaijinpunch, Oct 24, 2010.

1. gaijinpunch macrumors newbie

I'm writing this on my iPhone do sorry if it's curt.

MBP turns on but screen is black. Could by nVidia issue according to threads here. I have an OptiBay in the machine... Super drive is at home, 5000 miles away. Any issue with having the optibay if I need the video card fixed!

Thanks

2. iprashant.menon macrumors newbie

No, don't think the optibay would matter unless you had to reinstall anything via CD at any point. The optibay & logic board (integrated graphics) are two seperate things. You should connect your MBP to an ext. monitor to see if it's the video card that's busted or something wrong with the screen. And ya better hope it's the screen.

edit: btw, the video card & the logic board on most laptops are one and the same so having your video card fixed usually means having to replace your logic board, which is $$$, even if you do it yourself. Won't be easy or cheap trying to repair jst your video card.

3. gaijinpunch thread starter macrumors newbie

Got s cable... Hooked it up to the tv here. No signal. So, it's looking bad. Maybe it's the monitor setup here but doubtful.

I'm only curious if Mac support will simply say TS b/c of the Optibay. I don't mind paying to get it fixed. As long as it's not ridiculous. Odd timing though. It simply didn't wake up. If I can SSH in is there any last thing I should check?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It wouldn't matter if your Optibay did screw it up, the price to fix/replace the logic board remains the same so Apple wouldn't really care because you're covering the repair not them. At this point, it looks like the GPU/logic board is gone, no software or commands is going to fix it.

5. gaijinpunch thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers. Won't be able to take it in for a few days... Any clue what replacement will run?

6. jagger27 macrumors member

$500+

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There really isn't a firm price someone can give you and it'll also depend on which model you have but you're probably looking around 700-800 dollars to replace the logic board. Some have said they got a flat rate (I'm not aware of any flat rate repair) that cost them around $300. Try looking around to see what you can get but it'll likely come down to the range I stated above.

8. gaijinpunch thread starter macrumors newbie

Yikes... Might not be worth it. I'd have to double check but it's a 17-inch a gen before the unibody. Too new just to throw out, no?

9. gaijinpunch thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: This fell under the known issue I referenced in my original post, and is therefore covered. Apple is fixing it now. Should have it next week... hopefully they don't wig when they see the OptiBay in there. :D