Question about replacement iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prism, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prism macrumors 6502a

I had an issue with the power button of my 6 month old iphone 5, so I took it to the apple store and they did a white box exchange. I asked the "genius" if the replacement was new or refurbished to which he said brand new. I thought replacements were refurbished. I quickly did a chipmunk search on the serial and it gave me a production month of July 2013. Are white boxes new or refurbished?
    TIA

2. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Either....We don't have absolute proof, but some have refurbished and a few stated they got new iphones.

3. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Replacements are in white boxes even on day 1 after launch.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. itjw, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

itjw macrumors 65816

It doesn't. But it drives the OCD crowd NUTS because even though they can't tell the difference it bugs the crap out of them (that they might not have a "brand new factory fresh" phone), even though one was NEVER promised to them for warranty work.

I really can't wait to see the reactions when Apple starts taking people's devices apart in store. All of sudden I bet they'll be begging for one of those "so perfect I can't tell if it's a refurb or not" refurb instead of getting a new screen on their old one.

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

so the phone was made in the future and you think it may be refurbed?

And white box replacements are new phones set aside just for replacements as far as I've heard.

7. rican macrumors 6502

rican

I always thought they are 'refurbished,' but treated and fixed to brand new quality. :confused:

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Remanufactured, not refurbished.

"A remanufactured good is a returned product that a manufacturer puts through its manufacturing process, or remanufactures, to restore to a good-as-new condition.

A refurbished good is a returned product that is tested and has some nonworking parts replaced if the manufacturer deems this necessary to restore the product to working condition."

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Mod Note: This thread is closed for now to clean up all the off-topic bickering. When it reopens, please remain civil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.