Question about replacement policy

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rryu0212, Nov 11, 2008.

1. rryu0212 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm new to this forum and macbooks in general. I purchased a new 2.4ghz aluminum macbook about three weeks ago from today. I've been reading the forums and learning that there are issues such as slanted function keys. I didn't think that this would be a great issue since only the music function keys seem to be slanted for mine. But I noticed that there seems to be a scratch on the screen, under the glass--located on the top left corner. It is only visible at a certain angle. I've attached a picture for visual reference. It's hard to take a picture of the screen especially with a lot of glare, but it's the best I could do. But it looks like thin scratches/cracks and the screen area around them is discolored lightly.

[​IMG]
    You can see it directly under the Apple logo on the left corner

[​IMG]
    When looking straight at the screen you don't notice it. Only when you look at the screen in a downward angle.

Can I go back to the Apple store and ask for a replacement since it is still under the 1-year warranty covering "defects in materials and workmanship"? It's been three weeks, but I want my macbook to be perfect, especially paying premium for a laptop, instead of using the money to buy another laptop with better specs. (But I still love the macbook)

If they grant me a replacement, and incase they do, should I bring everything to the store including the box and all the accessories that came with it? Or just the laptop. Can I check the macbook on the spot to see if it is okay? Or I can just do it at home and then have to come back once again to replace if there is another issue?

I've installed applications, including VMWare fusion. Can I uninstall Fusion, but yet keep the current serial key so that I can use it if I get a replacement? They thing is, I've read that they can simply replace the harddrive, but I don't want them to open the battery case--cause when I did, it left me with an annoying cracking sound when typing...

This seems to be a lot of questions, but I appreciate everyone's time in reading and helping me figure out my issues.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

First things first.

I'd call applecare first, since you qualify for the 90 days phone support. If they think there's an issue, have them give you a case number. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar, give them the case number, and show them the screen.

If you get a replacement, unwrap it and fire it up at the applestore. Eyeball it carefully to make sure it has no cosmetic defects. I'd suggest taking a black and white movie on DVD to make sure the display is adequate.