Question about replacing folder with same name.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by indig0blue, Jun 19, 2007.

1. indig0blue macrumors member

Hi,

I found when I drop a folder onto a folder with the same name and I choose replace, it replaces the existing folder with the new one that that I am dropping onto it and deletes the old folder.

For example - I have a top folder named "music". Inside of "music" I have a folder called "jazz". There are currently 3 mp3 files in the "jazz" folder. i have brought home my hard drive from work which also has a "jazz" folder. Except for that the "jazz" folder from my work hard drive has 25 mp3s. I would like to merge the two "jazz" folders so I have one folder with 28 files. But I am finding when I drag my work "jazz" folder onto my home "jazz" folder the home version gets overwritten with the work version so I am left with a folder of 25 files instead of 28.

Can anyone help with this problem? Windows merges folders and just keeps unique files when merging two folders of the same name. Can OSX do that?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I don't think you can merge the folders.

Can you just open the work Jazz folder, select all, and copy the files from the work folder to the home folder. That will put 28 at home and leave the 25 in the work folder. Alternatively, "move" the files putting 28 into the home folder and emptying the work folder.