question about resintalling

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jetjaguar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I might be selling my mac pro very soon and I need to do a clean install of either mountain lion or mavericks .. the problem with reinstalling mavericks is that it always ask for you to enter your app store info to check if you can install it .. is there anyway past this as I don't want my info on the computer?

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I made a mavericks usb installer and that worked for a fresh install. Just skip the icloud secion and its ready to go.

3. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

There is an application here:

http://liondiskmaker.com

Called DiskMaker X. With this, it's really cake to create an installer for Mavericks or any other OS later than 10.6.8 on an 8GB USB flash drive.

Lou

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Can also be found at diskmakerx.com

5. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i tried that lion disk maker usb thing and never could get it to work .. anyway i can just burn a dvd ?

----------

I kind of want to go back to ML cuz I am getting worse performance in mavericks

6. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^Hmmm, this is the second time I used it. When ML first came out I used that version and successfully burned a DVD and created in installer USB Drive with it. This time I just created the USB Drive, as before it worked great. No issues al all.

The USB Drive installs the OS much faster than a DVD.

Lou

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Apparently, because of the way Apple changed the installer for Mavericks vs. ML, you can no longer create a DVD. Besides, the install image is over 5GB in size, and that won't fit on a single-layer DVD anyway.

Practically any Mac capable of running Mavericks can boot off a USB stick by holding down the Option key during the Apple logo screen at startup. Diskmaker X (and its previous iteration, Lion Diskmaker) has never failed to work for me.

8. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yea i am just making an ML dvd and gonna install ML on this before I sell it

9. pawtracks, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

pawtracks macrumors regular

This terminal command works great for me, just make sure you follow the directions exactly.

Copy/paste the entire string of text into terminal (starts with sudo, ends with nointeraction), then press return.

Terminal is located in Applications/Utilities

Your USB drive (minimum size 8GB) should be called Untitled and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

The installer should be called Install OS X Mavericks.app and should be in your Applications folder.

Run this in terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

You should see something like this:

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 100%...
    Copying installer files to disk...
    Copy complete.
    Making disk bootable...
    Copying boot files...
    Copy complete.
    Done.

10. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

11. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^Yes, as long as the Flash Drive 8GB or larger. But, why would you waste that extra space?

Lou

12. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

all i have

13. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Quick question. I just did a command-r at boot and formatted the hard drive and then reinstalled. It still asks for your Apple ID and password in order to verify. So I did and it clean installed. My question is my info on there? My Apple ID ? I don't see it anywhere but I wanna be sure before I ship it off.

Thanks

14. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar