Question about resizing videos?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Virgo, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I'm burning some basketball games onto DVD+R for a friend. The capacity of my discs are 4.7GB, and I want to put 2 games on a disc. The 2 games together amount to 4.89GB. Each game is one .mkv file, one 2.48GB and one 2.41GB.

How can I possibly shrink the file a little bit so that they can both fit? I have a lot of games to burn, so I really don't want to waste a disc by only filling it half-way if I don't have to. Thanks for your help!

2. simsaladimbamba, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

simsaladimbamba

A Single Layer (SL) DVD with 4.7GB can hold only 90 minutes of good quality video, but you may get up to 120 minutes of video onto it, but the quality will visually degrade.
    As video DVDs use MPEG-2 as a codec, which is very old, and the .mkv files a variant of the MPEG-4 codec, which is not so old and more efficient, you are not going to get 4.9GB of MPEG-4 encoded video onto a video SL-DVD.
    What about using Dual Layer (DL) DVDs with 8.5GB?

Usually a basketball game is around 2 to 3 hours, thus an SL-DVD is too small, if you want good quality, which the .mkv files seem to be.

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Compressor can build MPEGS up to 150 minutes long. The quality is ...well...

Do you really need to put everything of that game into the video? The net game time of basketball is what? - 1 hour (please excuse my non-knowledge of everything sports-related)? That's make 120 minutes for the 2 games. Add a little bit of the surroundings, and you get your project into the 150 minute cap.

With DL disks I have made bad experiences. I'd rather burn it on 2 separate single layers.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

for HS games a full game if you take out all the stoppages time outs etc you can get it down to about an hour
    football is awesome... a full game 30 minutes, 45 at the most :p

5. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

The games are each appx 1 hour 50 minutes long and they're at 720p. The quality looks great, and I'm not sure if there are parts I could cut out.. I'd be scared to fool with it. Don't know much about basketball either, but my friend is from Dallas and of course is very happy about yesterday's game :D.

I suppose I could shuffle the files around somehow and just let them be out of order and label as such, because I do have some games that range from 1.9GB to 2.6GB. I got a stack of 25 DVD+R's on sale for like $9 and I don't use them that often, so I don't want to bother going out and buying dual layers.

6. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

The file size of the MKVs is irrelevant. If you want the DVDs to play on a standard DVD player they need to be (re)compressed to DVD specifications, which is MPEG-2 SD video. Within reason you can set the bit rate to suit the length of the video, but when you start trying to cram more than 2 hours on a single-layer DVD, the image quality will start to nosedive.

7. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

They don't need to play on a DVD player, I just want to give them to him as data files to open on the computer. So the only thing I'm worried about is fitting them on the discs.

I have 4 Mavs/Lakers games, and I was able to burn game 1 and 2 on a disc, which used 90% of the capacity. For some reason, I guess games 3 and 4 are slightly longer, and it says to burn them together it would use 104% capacity.

8. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

If you re-compress it will tie up your computer and you will make the video look a little crappier. I'd just spend the 30 cents on another disc.

9. cgbier macrumors 6502a

So in other words you are not gonna edit any of the footage. Sorry, I assumed you would.
    Burn all the files on two separate discs - Game 1, Game 2 or whatever. No need to transcode or fool around with the files in any other way.

Dallas? That's that Nowitzky dude? My hometown is some 60 miles from his.

10. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Pffft. That's not even close to being close to fame. I got my arm signed by one of the roadies for Motörhead.

11. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Boah, that's cool! I met once a lady that was a an au pair in a hotel were Phil Collins once slept some ten years before she started working there ;)

12. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

If the movies are in 720P you will have to bring them down to standard definition to burn onto a dvd anyways... So you still need to compress your footage quite a bit unless you burn blu-ray