Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lifeguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Overall I'm not pleased with the computer, for many of the same reasons people here post about. I have the 2.7ghz model with the Radeon pro 460 card. Battery life has been an issue, I get around 5-6 hours instead of the advertised 10. I've also been having issues with the graphics card.

So my question is, will I be able to return this computer without paying the restocking fee? I've never returned an apple product before, have always been pleased, but this would be the exception. Any tips? (I have until the 21st)

Thanks in advance.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
No restocking fees. Just return it directly to Apple in undamaged condition with all of the original packaging and accessories (cable, charger, box, etc.).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No restocking fees. Just return it directly to Apple in undamaged condition with all of the original packaging and accessories (cable, charger, box, etc.).

I never understood restocking fee's. They cause disputes and some companies have banished them for obvious reasons.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I never understood restocking fee's. They cause disputes and some companies have banished them for obvious reasons.

Part of it is to dissuade people from buying and trying and then sticking the retailer with a used product. That costs all of us money since that cost is factored into the price of the product.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Part of it is to dissuade people from buying and trying and then sticking the retailer with a used product. That costs all of us money since that cost is factored into the price of the product.

True. And it costs the retailer money.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Overall I'm not pleased with the computer, for many of the same reasons people here post about. I have the 2.7ghz model with the Radeon pro 460 card. Battery life has been an issue, I get around 5-6 hours instead of the advertised 10. I've also been having issues with the graphics card.

So my question is, will I be able to return this computer without paying the restocking fee? I've never returned an apple product before, have always been pleased, but this would be the exception. Any tips? (I have until the 21st)

Thanks in advance.

Have you upgraded to 10.12.2 as many people said there Battery Life improved noticeable with this. Might be worth doing a download of 10.12.2 and doing a clean install as that solved many users issues. If do today/tomorrow then should still be able to return if still not happy.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
Have you upgraded to 10.12.2 as many people said there Battery Life improved noticeable with this. Might be worth doing a download of 10.12.2 and doing a clean install as that solved many users issues. If do today/tomorrow then should still be able to return if still not happy.
Yes, I did a clean re-install after 10.12.2 and it's improved quite a lot on my 13" mid-level TB. I still see a bit more drain during sleep than I should, but that's a software thing and can be addressed. Overall, in actual use, I'm seeing a consistent drop of 10% per hour using "Battery Logger" (App Store).

Right now, I'm at 13 hours of sleep and 40 minutes on battery with 90% left. I'm okay with that, assuming sleep is addressed (I'm sure it will be). Without sleep, just unplugged and using it, it does seem be getting 7-10 hours using Spark mail, Safari/Opera, iMessages, etc. This is SOOOO much better that the 3-5 I was getting at first.

I can't see returning this one now. With the extended holiday policy in effect since mid-November, I still have until after the new year. What are the options really? I don't want a 2015, as I've found the TB a huge boost to me in productivity (Believe it or not!), i love the form factor, the new screen and the keyboard. I still have a 2016 MB 12" m5 to sell that I've held on to pending this one's decision to keep or not. Power wise, I love the MBP vs MB (of course). Although, I do prefer the form factor of the 12" :) (which also gets 8-11 hours battery for me).

I say try your MBP a bit longer, reinstall (FRESH, wipe HDD and do a clean install from a USB install drive), give it 3-5 days to finish spotlight, etc. and then judge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.