Question about "Restore"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SitePlan, Oct 22, 2007.

1. SitePlan macrumors newbie

I just got my iPod (week 38) and I want to restore it so I can jailbreak it. But everytime I click on restore in iTunes, it tells me that it's going to download an update before it can restore. Now I have the latest version which is 1.1.1 and it's downloading the version 1.1.1 (150mb) update, why is it doing this?

Two questions:

1. Do I need to update?
    2. If I update, is there a way to go back to it's manufacturing version which is 1.1.1?
    3. Does iTunes normally do this? or is there a way to turn off the update? because I just want to restore with no update.

I really want to jailbreak this baby but this restore + update is just getting on the way. Another reason why I'm reluctant to update is because I read that the version 1.1.1 (150mb) update has some issues with the week 38 screens.

-Site

2. dikiem macrumors member

The restore basically download the full OS/Apps that was on the IPOD touch and do a reinstall on it back to the way it was when originally purchased.

3. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Don't Worry, i believe 1.1.1 is the latest? If so, its just downloading the firmware to your computer, so then it can install, it isnt updating anything. So it downloading the "update" is normal. I wouldnt worry

4. SitePlan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply, i'm ready to jail break