iPod touch Question about "Restore"

SitePlan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
I just got my iPod (week 38) and I want to restore it so I can jailbreak it. But everytime I click on restore in iTunes, it tells me that it's going to download an update before it can restore. Now I have the latest version which is 1.1.1 and it's downloading the version 1.1.1 (150mb) update, why is it doing this?

Two questions:

1. Do I need to update?
2. If I update, is there a way to go back to it's manufacturing version which is 1.1.1?
3. Does iTunes normally do this? or is there a way to turn off the update? because I just want to restore with no update.

I really want to jailbreak this baby but this restore + update is just getting on the way. Another reason why I'm reluctant to update is because I read that the version 1.1.1 (150mb) update has some issues with the week 38 screens.

-Site

dikiem

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
The restore basically download the full OS/Apps that was on the IPOD touch and do a reinstall on it back to the way it was when originally purchased.

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
Don't Worry, i believe 1.1.1 is the latest? If so, its just downloading the firmware to your computer, so then it can install, it isnt updating anything. So it downloading the "update" is normal. I wouldnt worry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.