Question about Restoring iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hellomoto4, Sep 6, 2008.

1. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Simple question, yet I don't know the answer.

If I were to restore my iPhone, would I lose my Contacts, Text Messages, Phone Recent Calls?

Thanks!

2. marker227 macrumors 6502

Only contacts can be backed-up to your computer. You would loose everything else since you are resetting back to the factory settings.

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

No. All settings, texts, pictures, whatever are backed up to your computer and are put back on there after you restore it.

4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

You can backup and restore pretty much everything on the iPhone, including the things you mentioned.

5. JRomero macrumors regular

JRomero

Before you restore, make sure to do a complete backup of your iPhone. iTunes will automatically do this when you plug in your phone. The backup process make take some time, so be patient.

After the backup is complete, click on 'Restore' and let the restoration process do its thing. Once the iPhone is done restoring, iTunes will ask you if you want to set up your iPhone as a new phone, or if you want to restore your iPhone from a backup. If you choose to restore from a backup, you WILL NOT loose any contacts, text messages, recent calls, settings, etc. on your iPhone. Everything will be restored to the way it was.

Hope this helps! :)

-Jason

6. rxmxsh macrumors member

You won't lose anything. Just make sure to sync and backup your phone before you restore.

7. hellomoto4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Okay thanks for the information.

In addition to my question, I'm changing computers as my recent one crashed completely and I'm unable to get it back.
    This is the computer I had everything originally backed up on.

If I were to plug in my iPhone to a new computer, would it wipe everything?

And if it wasn't to wipe everything, and I restored, would I still lose my contacts, messages etc?

Thanks!

8. JRomero macrumors regular

JRomero

I'm afraid that if you do not restore your iPhone with the computer that you have your backups on, you are going to loose all of your data.

Sorry. :(