Question about restoring Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MorBabi, Aug 14, 2014.

1. MorBabi, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

MorBabi macrumors newbie

Hello,

I sold my iMac today and the buyer wants me to explain him over the phone how to restore the OS X Mavericks.
    I was telling him to do it over the WiFi as explained here: https://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/ and apparently it requires the Apple account information. I was wondering if he will be able to restore the Mavericks with his own Apple user or is it required from him to pay on anything?

Thank you very much,
    Mor

Forgot to mention: the iMac has OS X 10.9.3 and his Apple user never purchased OS X

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hello,

did you Mac originally ship with Mavericks ?

3. MorBabi thread starter macrumors newbie

No it was shipped with Snow Leopard

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

What did you do before selling the Mac ?

Did you wipe the disk and reinstall Snow Leopard ?
    If yes, the new owner can go to the App Store, and "buy" Mavericks under his Apple ID.

5. MorBabi thread starter macrumors newbie

I sold him the iMac with Mavericks installed
    He told me it's downloading him the OS at the moment but i am afraid the installation will fail because he never purchased OS X before with his Apple user.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Problem is: the Mavericks license belongs to you (associated with your AppleID)
    So, the buyer will continue to have AppleID issues until:
    Wiping/reinstalling the original Snow Leopard system.
    Then, the buyer uses his own AppleID to upgrade to Mavericks.

7. MorBabi thread starter macrumors newbie

Before I sold him the iMac I wiped the computer and installed Mavericks with a USB which has Mavericks on it.

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Not a good idea, because this is "your" Mavericks (tied with your Apple ID).
    EDIT after your edit : if you installed from a USB drive, the Mav is not tied to your Apple ID.

You should have wiped the disk, reinstalled SL so that the buyer can go to the App Store and "buy" his own copy of Mavericks.

However, I think (not sure, though) that the buyer should be able to go to the App Store, log in with his Apple ID, and "buy" Mavericks.

He will likely get a warning "Mavericks is already installed on this computer, do you actually want to buy and download Mavericks" ? but should be able to complete the process.

Then, he could create a USB drive using DiskMaker X, then wipe the (whole) disk, and install his copy of Mavericks.

9. MorBabi thread starter macrumors newbie

I will tell you what. At the moment he is in the Restore stage where the system downloads the OS X Mavericks. I am afraid that after the download will be done it won't install the OS because he never purchased OS X before. Do you think it'll happen?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That's not necessary. The OS is not tied to your AppleID in any way. The AppleID entered during the install phase just allows you to do the download from the servers is all.

If you look at pirated copies of the installer and compare them to your legit copy downloaded with your AppleID, you will find they all are digitally identical and have the same MD5 hash.

If I sold you a Mac that had been upgraded to Mavericks and I did a clean install, all you would need to do it go to the App Store and "purchase" Mavericks yourself with your AppleID just in case you ever wanted to reinstall. If you were not worried about reinstalling, you don't even need to do that.

If he is actually downloading the OS, it sounds like he entered an AppleID that was used to "purchase" Mavericks somewhere along the way. If you command-r boot to recovery and erase the drive with Disk Util then click reinstall OS X, the very first thing you get is that AppleID prompt. If he is downloading now he must be beyond that.

If he is still hung up he can go to someone else's Mac and login to the App Store there with his AppleID and "purchase" Mavericks to enable him to use his AppleID on the new Mac.