question about restoring my mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matrix808, Nov 2, 2011.

1. matrix808 macrumors regular

I want to restore my mbp back to original settings, but i have a HDD in the optibay. if i restore the SDD in my HDD bay back to original settings when im done installing programs back onto the SDD, will i be able to just drop the HDD back into the optibay with all my original files still there?

i use my HDD mainly for storage and storing itunes. just want to know if i dont need to go through the hassle of backing it up before the restore.

2. simsaladimbamba

You don't need to remove the HDD during a clean install, as you can select the actual partition you want to install Mac OS X onto.

Or am I understanding you wrong?

3. matrix808 thread starter macrumors regular

Well i wanted to take out my hdd from the optibay and put back in the superdrive so i can install all the programs i have loaded on discs (office and OS). everything else is digital. I am just not sure after having a clean OS lion installed if my mbp will be able to still read the old HDD or if it will need to be formatted first.

4. simsaladimbamba

Do you have an enclosure for the SuperDrive? Do you have access to another computer (Windows or Mac OS X) with a DVD drive, which you could access via Remote Disc Sharing? That would be easier than the whole replacing steps.

Anyway, as Lion is just Mac OS X, as the version before, and the one before that, and the other five before that, it is capable of reading your HDD just fine, as it was readable before.

5. matrix808 thread starter macrumors regular

awesome thanks!