Question about return/exchange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rican, Jun 29, 2010.

1. rican macrumors 6502

rican

Hi,

I know some of you are taking your phones back to Apple, but what is the process - are they giving you a brand new phone if you exchange or a refurb?

Cheers.

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

At this stage, there shouldn't be any refurbished phones available as the product is so new.

Whether or not you can actually do an exchange is up to the staff in the store you visit. Different people have got different responses when they've tried, with mixed results.

3. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

Ok thank you. :] I wasn't sure as to how the process was - I am considering taking it back but not too sure yet.

4. geneticfusion macrumors member

I just got my replacement in the mail, in a little black box, even though the rep promised me that it was going to be a brand new phone, sealed since it was less than 3 days old.

One thing I noticed is that it had the standard screen protector that it came with new, though replacements in the past didn't have that for me.

I'm tempted to call back and want a brand new sealed one since that's what was promised to me, I even clarified more than once.

So who's to say if it's new or not, I don't know.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It seems a bit implausible that they'd have refurbished models available to send out less than a week before even the first pre-orders arrived.

I'd just assume that they have replacement iPhones (which are currently new) in basic boxes to send out to people. There's not really any need to send someone the original packaging when they've already got the charger etc.

6. grmatt macrumors 6502

How were you able to get them to send you a replacement? Did you talk to an Apple rep on the phone? Were they quick to allow you to get a replacement or did you have to convince them? Also, do they send you a postage-paid box to ship the old phone back in?

Thanks

7. geneticfusion macrumors member

I called the rep and said theres some issues with my phone, already did a restore, and he said we'll set up a replacement. Yes, on the phone. Nope, they were quick about it, was only on the phone with them for maybe 10 minutes.

Also, it was just a box with my address on it. I need to get a return label somehow. They said they were emailing me one, but I havent got it yet.

8. hlysmksbtmn macrumors member

I also got a replacement in a black box but I purchased it online. I wonder if people who purchased it in the store are getting a complete replacement. My only problem is when I try to sell it the serial number is not going to match the original box.

9. geneticfusion macrumors member

I called back, they told me that stock is too low to be sending out brand new ones as replacements.

-sighs-. PLUS, I didn't get a return label with my replacement, and now I'm jumping through hoops trying to get one.

10. ballen420 macrumors 6502

I just got mine replaced in the store. It's brand new, but was in a small black box that just contained the phone (since there is no reason to replace everything else).

Knock on wood that my issues are resolved with a replacement.

11. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Dont forget the will have Refur units because they have sent loaners and demo units to other vendors like those who make cases accessories etc, so when they get those back they will refurb the units.

I returned mine last night because they didn't offer me a replacement in the store so I either had to deal with my issues or return it, so I did the return, what an ordeal too :(

12. grmatt macrumors 6502

Was your exchange due to reception issues?

13. jasondono macrumors member

Did they charge you a restocking fee? Also, can you then reactivate your old iPhone(if you had one) and continue where you were in your contract?

Seriously considering returning mine. The reception seems much worse than with my 3GS, even without touching the lower left corner. Hoping the Verizon story turns out to be true.

14. ballen420 macrumors 6502

Yes.

I can't make phone calls from my house without them dropping or not being able to hear the person on the other end. This all in holding the phone in a Steve Jobs approved position.

I was able to replicate the left handed issue, but that wasn't my problem. I've owned the 3 previous iPhones and never had an issue with reception at my house. I'll find out tonight if it was a shoddy phone.

15. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

Nope.

Case makers have to buy them just like everyone else. At least that's what I've been told by a few when asking about case availability from several vendors.

16. matt550 macrumors 6502

I'll find out soon what it is. My battery life sucks, worse then my 3GS. not even 2 hours of use and im at 60%. I'll see what they say.