Question about return

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cu2010, Jun 14, 2009.

1. cu2010 macrumors 6502

What should I do with pre-installed software that has already been registered when returning my MBP?
    Nobody seems to know the answer on the other threads, so please advise if you have previously experienced this.
    I just spoke with customer service, and he said I should also return it, but I got the impression that he wasn't confident :p

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

A little more detail. Depending on who it is. Smaller developers you probably could e-mail, but if we are talking about Adobe, I'm sure they have some policy regarding this. Who's customer service did you talk to?

Also, where did you buy the computer and where are you returning it? And why?

If you are getting a replacement, Apple I'm sure could just pre-install your new computer.

3. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

try reinstall it mate.
    its better for you data.

4. cu2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

I purchased my umbp 15" on-line 3 weeks ago with customised specs but I've learnt that I could save a lot of money if I exchanged it with a new umbp or even the 17" model. So I phoned 1-800-676-2775 and asked for an upgrade, but a nice guy I spoke with instead issued a RMA for this, so I was about to ship it off to :apple: in PA (82 Micro Drive)

But I've just realised that Microsoft Office has been pre-installed in my laptop, so again I rang them up and asked what I should do with it. This guy (i don't recall his name) I just talked to was a little sloppy (maybe because it's still early in CA:D) so I wasn't 100% convinced.

I haven't ordered another one yet.

5. cu2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was going to, but he told me to delete data and not to keep it.

6. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I think he meant to reinstall in your new computer

7. cu2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it makes more sense, but he told me otherwise. That's another reason why I'm not totally convinced.

And just remembered they were situated in AZ, not CA.

8. wesrk macrumors 6502a

where in AZ? I've been to the store in Chandler and they are usually very helpful, same thing in Tucson, the one at the biltmore mall is also known for its helpful staff.

9. AppleiZac macrumors member

looks like a classic case of....unpatientitis when u shouldve waited til WWDC like everyone on here and everyone else said to...u wouldnt hav these worries now would ya?

10. cu2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

that i don't know. he said many people actually assumed that they were based in CA. but I was talking about telephone representatives, not sales assistants in store.

11. cu2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

well, call me stupid. this is my first mac, and i had never thought they would release new umbp at WWDC. i had knowledge of iPhone 3GS, but not mbp.
    had i known this, of course i would have waited.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

So, this was installed by you, not preinstalled? As far as I know, you can register the license on multiple computers, the problems occur when you try to run the same license over a singular network.

13. cu2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

no. it was pre-installed, which is why I've been thinking whether or not to return it as is.
    i thought i could keep it and reinstall in my new computer, but apple told me to delete data and return it together.
    doesn't that sound strange?

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just do as Apple told, they just want to remove any risk of any personal data - standard policy.

15. cu2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

FFR: I haven't returned a MS Office with my MBP, but :apple: refunded the total amount that I paid for it :D Also, when you return your computer, you needn't cancel your APP separately. Even though I was outside the 30-day window, I received a full refund.