Question about Returning/Buying Item at Best Buy w/ GC

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LanEvo, Mar 24, 2012.

1. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Hey guys, so recently I purchased the new iPad at Best Buy and paid with a gift card, more than 1 gift card. With the ones that were used up, they took them and threw then away, stupid mistake, should have asked for them back. But now I may need to return the item. So will they reissue me a new GC? Or will I have to go through the process of calling Corp. for a reissue? I Googled, and came up with mixed results that date back to over 2 years ago, anyone have an experience recently? As well, I also got a Gift Receipt with the purchase, would it be better to just return with the Gift Receipt and get store credit? It would be the same thing right?

I am thinking of upgrading to the 32GB, so this is my issue/dilemma.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Have you tried calling Best Buy to get the policy directly from the retailer rather than second or even third hand from a forum on the Internet?

3. LanEvo thread starter macrumors 6502

I could, but I wanted to ask firsthand here to see if anyone had a similar experience. They should be closed currently so cannot right now, unless they are 24/7 service?

4. brand, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

brand macrumors 601

brand

I could be wrong but I believe that asking Best Buy directly what their policies are would be considered firsthand and asking someone other than Best Buy what Best Buy's policies are would be considered secondhand. like I said though I could be wrong.

A simple Google search reviled that the Best Buy Customer Service number is supposed to be 24/7. The Best Buy Customer Service web page also has a link to the Best Buy forums. That might give you a better answer since it is Best Buy's own forums that they monitor, post, and answer questions in.

[Edit]I just called the Best Buy 800 number and after a few click throughs in the automated system was told to call back during business hours the next business day. Sorry.

5. LanEvo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, no problem, for the 24/7 service, it is for Silver Members. I am only a regular member. But I posted on their forum, see what I get...

6. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Are you aware BestBuy has a pretty active forum, and could get this question answered first hand there? ....

Anyways, throwing away the gift cards doesn't matter. This isn't 1994. It will show how you paid on the receipt, and they will reissue your refund (minus the 30% iPad Restocking Fee) in the same manner, but will probably end up putting whatever the total of your GC's on one GC.

Just kidding about the restocking fee. But again, it is always better to get an answer direct from the company.

7. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

As a former employee, don't fret over your gift cards. The only actual issue is when a customer throws away a prepaid Visa gift card and whatever...that is treated like a real card and if you got a refund and didn't have the card, the money would disappear.

For gift cards, the BBY employee can issue your refund in the form of store credit. Store credit and gift cards are basically the same thing. Sometimes we would just grab gift cards off the shelf (when we didn't have any store credit cards) and add the balance onto there.

Honestly, don't worry about this. You'll be fine...gift cards are meant to be taken once they're used up...any refunds are issued in the form of store credit.

(BTW, I'm inferring, but confirm for me...you're talking about gift card as in Best Buy gift card right?)

8. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

The old GC doesn't matter. They have the money. They know you gave it to them for the product you are returning with a receipt. They can put that amount on another card. It's done all the time. Have you seen how quick it is to buy a GC? Well, see that return will be in the computer and put in a GC and viola!

I've done this at so many stores, BB, Tarjè, etc. Sometimes I just don't want it back on my CC or the CC bc it was present. Store credit allows me to do that.

9. LanEvo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, BB GC. I still have one with some remainder balance I paid with, but the others were taken. So, it should be ok then?