Question about returning iMac to the apple store

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NYY FaN, Dec 15, 2009.

1. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I bought a 21.5'' imac that I've been using it for about a week and I want to exchange it for the 27''. What should I do about the hard drive, should I wipe it out completely myself or just return it as is and only delete my documents?

2. ayeplussjr macrumors regular

I'd clean it out, but that's just me.

3. NYY FaN thread starter macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

is there a quick way to restore it to factory? I don't want to have to do a 40min reinstall of SL that's basically why I'm asking

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

isnt there a 15% restocking fee? ouch.

i would do a full SL reinstall, even if it takes 40 minutes.

5. NYY FaN thread starter macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

well I called the store about it and mentioned that it was infact opened and I bought it over 2 weeks ago and they said there wouldn't be a restocking fee and I can return it until jan 9 because of the holidays

6. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Well, they would clean it themselves, but I'd do it myself. Just because I have personal data on my HDD.
    Even though, I'm sure they won't actually go through your files, I'd do it anyway, won't take that long to do. So, why not?

7. motownflip macrumors regular

I wouldn't trust this. I believe their return policy is 14 days. If you're going to return it, do it now. Especially if they are not going to charge you the restocking fee.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, Apple Retail stores follow the same return guidelines as the online store.

Cool if they're not charging you the 10% restock fee.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Any time you are relinquishing a computer it's a good idea to do a clean install of the OS. I would suggest at least secure deletion by zeroing out the HD once at the very least.

Return the computer as close to they way it was when you left the store. Clean install the OS, wrap the computer up, wrap up the keyboard, mouse, and other accessories. Placing the packaging in like it was before. The closer the computer is to new the easier it will be dealing with the return, and also your data will have been wiped.

10. MJD Dawg macrumors 6502

Junction of the Pacific, Juan de Fuca & NA Plates
    So the 14 day return period starts once you open it Christmas morning. Nice touch Apple.

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

12. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Says who? Many times Apple will waive the 10% if you are upgrading to a more expensive system. Don't be a db when you don't know the OP's situation. :cool:

13. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

14. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Still you don't need to go out of your way to make the OP feel bad or question their decision to upgrade. They called the Apple store and Apple said they would not be charged a restocking fee. This thread was about what the OP should do to get the computer ready to be returned, not if we think they will be charged 10% fee. :rolleyes:

15. NYY FaN thread starter macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

yeah I ended up doing this. they didn't charge me with a restocking fee.. never even mentioned it at all when I was there

thanks for everyone's replies