Question about rMBP 15 inch screen real estate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thetruth1985, Apr 23, 2013.

1. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I have a question and I hope someone here can help me. Right now, I'm using a 17 inch Razer Blade and prior to this, I used a 17 inch MBP. I like using the 17 inch 1080p screen because it allows me to comfortably view 2 web pages side by side. I understand that the rMBP has a much higher resolution and can also be set to 1080p. Even though the screen is only 15 inches, is it possible to comfortably view 2 web pages side by side without straining my eyes? Also, is there anything else about the screen real estate that I will miss if I downsize from the 17 inch? thanks to anyone who can help!

2. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Yes. Remember the DPI is much higher. So even though the screen is smaller, the text looks clearer.

Remember the switch to retina on iPhone 4. Now you could read small text without zooming in like you would on a 3GS.

Also, the laminated on display makes text look like printed on paper further reducing eyestrain.

3. thetruth1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to be sure since there's a long thread on the apple discussion boards about how the rMBP screen doesn't have all the screen real estate of the 17 inch.

4. leman macrumors 604

The rMBP has significantly more real screen estate that the 17" MBP. It can emulate 1920x1200 resolution, but with more detail.

5. Mattstrete macrumors member

I also came from a 17-inch MBP and have not had any problems with the reduction in physical screen size. Before selling my 17-inch I compared the two side by side and the most noticeable difference was the DPI - everything, including text, looked grainy by comparison on the 17-inch, so, in fact, text was harder to read.

And, don't forget that there are ways to run the rMBP at its native (ie non-scaled) resolution of 2880x1800. While this does make the UI elements quite small, if you're viewing zoomable content in Safari etc you can zoom that content so that it is as big as you need it to be. The UI around your content will literally fade away - and the zoomed content will be just as sharp and "retina-like" as if you were using one of the scaled resolutions, maybe more so.

In short, then, the rMBP actually provides more screen real estate in a lighter, thinner, and quicker package.

(Incidentally, the UI lag and overheating issues I experienced on my 2012 rMBP are totally absent on my 2013 rMBP. I have never even heard its fan spin up even while running two TBDs at the same time as the rMBP's display).

6. thetruth1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input. Since I'm so late to the game, I'm wondering if it's best for me to pickup one now or if I should wait to see what Haswell brings. Macmall has the 512GB model for $2400 and I need at least that much space since I want to install Windows 8 and play some games.

7. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

You should wait. Even if the next generation ends up being underwhelming, the current ones will just be that much cheaper by then.

8. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you can wait until late summer - my estimated time of when the Haswell MBPs hit the streets, then wait, but if you're itching for a new laptop now, the current ivy bridge based MBPs are no slouch.

From what I've read the haswell chipset is only providing a modest increase in speed, but the integrated GPU is faster then the current one.

10. Augustine864 macrumors regular

Seems like you already got your answer but I thought I'd throw in as well. I have had two Dell 15" laptops and the most common thing I do with them is view two windows side by side and I have never felt like I needed more room. And like the gentlemen above all stated, the rMBP will be able to give you more on screen content anyway.

That being said, I am also wondering about nearly this same exact issue, except I am wanting to buy the 13" rMBP because I want to move to a 13" footprint, but I'm concerned that goes from 15 down to a 13 will just be too much of a screen loss. I'm sure given the resolution I could fit all the same material on the screen, but I wonder if it would simply be too small.