Question about rmbp bleeding screen and warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sumalee, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Sumalee macrumors newbie

Hello,

I bought my first mac (rmbp) ever about one month ago and I have some trouble understanding how Apple's warranty works. I have a 2.7ghz 512 gb rmbp that does work properly, although I do have some bleeding on both vertical edges of my screen. The bleeding is getting more obvious when the screen gets hotter, it is bearable but it is quite lame for a 3k$ device...

I will post some picture later, but for the moment I read some threads about people getting replacement for that kind of issue and I have a question. Can I send my laptop for a replacement in 1-2 month or I have to do it now? Reason is that I want Apple to settle and solve their initial problems with their rmbp production, I don't want to get a second defective notebook.

Sorry for my English, it is obviously not my native language.

Thanks

2. BeeJee macrumors 6502

They'll help you now and 2 months from now. They're good to their customers

3. jacktorrance macrumors regular

Not to worry, it is head and shoulders above many of the native speakers posting in this forum.

4. Sumalee thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is after 1 hour of game of thrones to warm the screen a little bit :rolleyes:

5. Idefix macrumors 6502

Yes, definitely needs replacing.

And you're in the same boat as a whole bunch of other rmbp folks. The jury is still out on success in getting a replacement that doesn't have this issue.

First question is, where did you buy it?

If you bought it from an Apple Store, you can call the 800-number and talk to them about it, or you can make a Genius Bar appointment.

At this point you want to get the issue documented in the notes about the laptop.

6. Sumalee thread starter macrumors newbie

I ordered my laptop on the online apple store on June 12th... It takes quite a while to replicate the issue since I have to heat up the monitor, I hope I don't have to do it on the genius bar ahah.

7. PresidentScroob macrumors newbie

PresidentScroob

Call apple for a replacement. I just did that for mine with a similar problem and a spotty (dead pixel) display. My replacement ships in 4 days and is over nighted for free because the customer services people are very understanding about problems. Call them up (24 hour) service, it took me only 20 minutes to get my replacement sent. :)

8. Sumalee thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple's customer service doesn't scare me, I've heard only good things about it but getting a defect replacement is my main concern since I am darnly picky about dead pixels or weirdly tinted screen. Looking at the previous launches, there is definitely a pattern of getting weird issues with first products getting out of the plants and these issues seem to disappear after a few weeks. Sadly I had to buy a new computer ASAP since my older one died :eek:

9. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

All screens will have some backlight bleeding. That is just the nature of backlit screens.

Color uniformity is a tricky one. White is the most easy to notice since a lot of web pages are white and a lot of applications are predominately white. Other colors could be equally off but chances are you won't notice them because you are very rarely if ever going to stare at a screen with a blue background.

I think people need to realize that 1. These displays don't come calibrated from the factory to any specific standard so there will be a fairly large variability between screens. 2. You are paying for a professional monitor, yes the Macbook Pro is an expensive machine but professional displays with proper calibration will run you much more than the cost of the machine.

10. Sumalee thread starter macrumors newbie

I do understand that every lcd screen will have some sort of bleeding, but I mean this my first laptop with such obvious bleeding. I think it is a legitimate reason to ask for a swap because if there is any very dark color on the left side of my screen I do see some orange color (By dark I mean black or very dark green/blue). I will call Apple and see what they have to say about this, they are the only one who really have the answer :)